• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advise Needed, Bunny not well since visit to vets!

lostsouls65

Warren Scout
Took rabbit to vets yesterday to have her teeth done, she was sedated in order to have the works carried out. This is not the first time as her teeth grow very fast.
Notice that my poor bunny is not able to walk properly and is very unstable on her feet. Fed her some food via syringe but still unsteady.
Called the vets this morning and they want to see her as soon as possible this morning.
I hope she has not been damaged for life! Can anyone shed some light? Is this going to be a permemant damage?

I dont really know what the damage could be, but didn't want to read and run, hope the rabbit is okay, and keep us updated :)

It would be impossible to say without a veterinary examination, but its possible your bunny perhaps has not reacted to the General Anaesthetic/Sedation or has sufffered some kind of issue since the action taken.

I'd recommend an emergency trip to the vet.

Thanks

I was at the Vets first thing in the morning, Subo has to have her trimmed on a regular basis, 3-4 weeks! Yesterday she was sedated to have her back teeth done, when I came home noticed she was walking as if she was drunk. Called vets they said that as she was done late in the day she might be still suffering from being sedated. This was still the case at 6am so did not waste any more time and took Subo to Vets. Hope she will be fine, it broke my heart seeing her in that state. :(

I'm so sorry. :( I can't say what's caused it but you've done the right thing by phoning the vet and taking Subo straight in. Sending lots of vibes. xx

Its been 3 days today and Subo still not well. Vets
said they need to concentrate on what caused her not to be able to walk, all I know once she came round from being under anaesthetic she lost the ability to stand on her back feet, though I I have seen some improvement in her front legs and she is more alert now we are still worried about her back legs.

Vets are carrying out x-rays today and will give her another injection (new) with anti-biotic's as they think she may have some infection with her water works. its all touch and go at the moment but pray she will be ok and back to normal soon.
I am not sure she has ended up like this
- Trauma?
- Anaesthetic?
- Infection?

Has anyone else suffered or know what it may be?

Thanks for all your wonderful support.

Does She have any other health issues? Is it possible she has other health issues but undiagnosed?

My Wish lost the use of her back end after her spay, but as a very sickly bunny it wasn't a surprise. We fed her and pumped her full of food and she improved and then got better.

Another option would be a reaction to the GA/sedation. You need to be thinking about if they did anything different from before? A different medication? Different way of administering it? Different way of bringing her round? Different amounts of anything?

Did she crash on the table?

Who was she handled by and how was she handled? Ask for a demonstration with another bunny. Did she struggle?

Has she had fluids and drunk since her GA? Have they given her fluids at the vets? If not, fluids might help flush her system if she has any medication left inside it.

Those are the issues I would be looking at and asking.

Thanks

Thank you so much, my bunny was fine when she went it, only problem was she had poop stuck to her tail which was due to the dental problems, we have to take her to the vets every month to have the teeth trimmed, on this occasion her back teeth needed to be done too so was sedated.

Vets have since confirmed a discharge from her bottom, more tests will be done today and new set of antibiotics will be given, The night before she went in she was fine, ate all her food etc and was very happy apart from some poop stuck to her tail, all vaccinations have been done.

She seems out of the danger zone as it was touch and go for the next 48 hrs, today I felt she was little bit better but still mobility issues with back legs.
I will see the vet at 5,30 tonight and raise all the questions you mentioned
I am so worried somthing will happen to her and we may be asked to put her to sleep :-(
Lets see what they say, I have got her treats when she comes home,hopefully she will eat plus I will syringe feed her. will ask vets to give her something to help with no getting dehydrated

All advise is useful so please keep them coming as it gives me little hope thank you all x

There is a link in my sig to an article called 'Please Remember to Advocate for your rabbit'. It would be worth you reading it.

If the vet suggests that you should have her PTS, then that doesn't mean you do have to. What you need to do is look inside, look for your gut instinct on what is best for Subo and discuss that with the vet. Explain why you feel as you do. You need to be true to Subo and fight for whatever you think is best for her. If that is the have her PTS then follow that, but if not, follow that and discuss that with the vets too.

I wish you luck tonight and hope that they can find out what's wrong, and you are able to make whatever decision you feel is in the best interests of Subo.

Subo eating

Subo is home, Vet said he will continue to give her the new anti-biotic in a form of injection over the weekend. I made them give her some water injections into her body to stop her from dehydrating.

I asked all the questions and nothing unusual from previous treatments, she was not hurt during op, did not kick or struggle. X-rays show that her spine is ok, but she does have stones.

Came home and gave her a fav treat; coriander and she went mad over it, ate the lot. Will let her digest it and give her some more. seems perky but back legs not al that good. hopefully will continue with the feeding

As for PTS I will leave that as a last result, will seek further advice and guidance before I even consider that. My worry is she will not be able to use her litter tray as normal. need to clean her back everyday to prevent infection.

I really advice is always appreciated

Thanks a million, so stressful seeing her not being able to walk

Subo is home, Vet said he will continue to give her the new anti-biotic in a form of injection over the weekend. I made them give her some water injections into her body to stop her from dehydrating.

I asked all the questions and nothing unusual from previous treatments, she was not hurt during op, did not kick or struggle. X-rays show that her spine is ok, but she does have stones.

Came home and gave her a fav treat; coriander and she went mad over it, ate the lot. Will let her digest it and give her some more. seems perky but back legs not al that good. hopefully will continue with the feeding

As for PTS I will leave that as a last result, will seek further advice and guidance before I even consider that. My worry is she will not be able to use her litter tray as normal. need to clean her back everyday to prevent infection.

Vet is waiting for anti-biotics to kick in

I will inform vets that PTS is not an option now, they dont seem to know what is causing the lack of mobility with back legs. I may need to get further advice from another sauce.

She is enjoying her coriander right now so lets hope she will get stronger and able to walk

I think it does sound like you need a second opinion on this...It's terribly strange for a bun just to have sore teeth one minute then come back in such a state..:?

Glad she's perked up. Sending loads of recovery vibes for her. Hope you are doing ok.

:wave:

The only other thing I can think of is EC. Have you discussed this with your vet at all? Perhaps it's just a coincidence it happened at the same time?
Or get a second opinion of you're not happy. Hope she improves.

Thanks guys,

Jenova, what is EC? I have just checked Subo's legs and they are warm so that means there is circulation. Seeing the vet tomorrow for second injection of new anti-biotic. so pleased she is perky,hopefully she will be walking soon.

Writing all thos down as I need to ask vet these questions.

Thanks a million

Thanks guys,

Jenova, what is EC? I have just checked Subo's legs and they are warm so that means there is circulation. Seeing the vet tomorrow for second injection of new anti-biotic. so pleased she is perky,hopefully she will be walking soon.

Writing all thos down as I need to ask vet these questions.

Thanks a million

It's Encephalitozoon Cuniculi, a parasite, one of the symptoms can be hind leg weakness among other things. The usual treatment is worming with panacur for 28 days I think, but I don't know if this would interfere with the other medication she's on.

Here's the wiki page, although I know wikipedia isn't always the most reliable source of information. Might be worth asking your vet about though. :wave:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encephalitozoon_cuniculi

Thanks

Yes Subo is us on Panacur, just given her some now, yes googled EC and saw what it is, thank you so much, I hope she improves as time goes by. Now she is eating at least I dont have to worry about her being hungry, even though I was syringe feeding her. she ate her treat tonight so fingers cross :)

Back