PDA

View Full Version : My new guinea-pig (who needs a name)

Rhianna
26-01-2012, 12:28 AM
Following on from my thread in general chat about whether I can bond a single male guinea-pig with a friend, I thought I'd add a few photos of the pig in question.

He was called Peanut when I adopted him but I want to give him a new name - the people who didn't want him gave him that name:cry:

These are some photos of him exploring my bed. I don't think he has been handled much as he is still very wary when I first pick him up, but soon settles down for cuddles:love:

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k517/RhiannaBunny/Peanut25112.jpg

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k517/RhiannaBunny/Peanut251126.jpg

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k517/RhiannaBunny/Peanut251123.jpg

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k517/RhiannaBunny/Peanut251124.jpg

bunnytoes
26-01-2012, 12:48 AM
Awe..............he is adorable. He does kinda look like a Peanut though. he looks small. :love::love::love::love::love::love:

BinkyBun
26-01-2012, 12:51 AM
Awww he's adorable!:love: What about Cuddles?

I've love to get a pair of guinea pigs but must must must resist.......

bunslave
26-01-2012, 12:53 AM
Awwwwww that 3rd pic :love: :love:

Rhianna
26-01-2012, 12:57 AM
I thought he was quite big for six months but I don't know a lot about guinea-pigs - but am learning fast!

I just want him to have a new name as he came from the Adoption part of PAH because his previous owners said he 'didn't mix' and I think his new start deserves a brand new name.

He is lovely - it was the way he looked at me and squeaked when I was looking at the hamsters. He knew what he wanted. He had been in PAH since 4 January and I think he was Fed Up!!!

The Duchess
26-01-2012, 01:03 AM
He's adorable.

How about Oink?

Jen2412
26-01-2012, 01:15 AM
He looks like such a cheeky little chap especially in the 3rd piccy :love:

I like the name Milo

Jenova
26-01-2012, 01:18 AM
He looks like a Trevor to me. Or how about Nutmeg? Or Ares?

helgalush
26-01-2012, 01:21 AM
He is v v cute. Could I suggest Senna? He looks a gorgeous shade of yellow, and Senna is yellow: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senna_(plant)
Failing this, maybe Syrup?

Vita
26-01-2012, 01:24 AM
Look at him exploring :love:

What a beautiful colour he is. His fur looks so strokable - is he semi-longhaired?

emmiiee
26-01-2012, 01:41 AM
Oscar
Harlee
Basil
Mocha

ummm....

mini lop1
26-01-2012, 11:52 AM
:love: gorgeus what about piglet from winnie the pooh

biscandmatt1
26-01-2012, 12:00 PM
oh my goodness, he is amazing! :love::love::love: what about wotsit for a name :love:

obsessedwithanimals
26-01-2012, 12:01 PM
He's adorable- what about Muffin? He looks like a Muffin to me! :)

Jack's-Jane
26-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Tommy Tango

Mr Marmalade

Corporal McCarrot

:D

Jaysmonkey
26-01-2012, 12:14 PM
I like Oink and Wotsit :) xx

gwaterhouse
26-01-2012, 12:17 PM
Garth :D

Bea & Floss
26-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Seeing him has bought tears to my eyes he looks just like my bridge piggy Buttercup :cry: he's adorable :love::love: not sure what i would call him, i like the name peanut but i dont think it suits him :?

Nikki26
26-01-2012, 12:21 PM
He's gorgeous! He looks like my bridge piggy, Indie. :love::love:

Aly&Poppy<3
26-01-2012, 12:23 PM
:shock: ....... I want guinea pigs! :love: He is so so cute :love: I like Oink too :D

I love the 3rd picture. He's like "you know mommy, I think I'll like it here" :love:

Bea & Floss
26-01-2012, 12:25 PM
i like oink too:love: or Captain Carrot or if you want a person name how about Oliver :D

FudgeTort
26-01-2012, 12:35 PM
I like Trevor too!

Rhianna
26-01-2012, 12:40 PM
What fantastic name ideas - I am totally spoiled for choice now as I like so many of them.

He is sooooo nervous though:cry: He is fine once I am holding him but he runs away when I try to pick him up. Am not sure how guinea-pigs like to be stroked either. Do they like nose rubs like bunnies? At the moment I have been stroking his back and then around his face. He seems to like being stroked around the ears on the side of his face. He just gazes into my eyes:love:

I think he must be semi-longhaired as he has really long fur at the back. I haven't groomed him yet but it isn't tangled at all. When I stroke him I run my fingers through it - he seems to like that and I worry about scaring him by brushing him.

drboo
26-01-2012, 08:01 PM
He is gorgeous :wave: I like Trevor and Wotsit!!!

Tinsel
26-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Honeypot! :wave:

parsnipbun
26-01-2012, 08:15 PM
I am really getting the urge for a couple of guineas . . . *slaps wrist and wanders out to look at 34 rabbits!!!*

Tinsel
26-01-2012, 08:17 PM
I am really getting the urge for a couple of guineas . . . *slaps wrist and wanders out to look at 34 rabbits!!!*

34? I thought it was 33? What have I missed?...

Char-x
27-01-2012, 12:14 AM
What fantastic name ideas - I am totally spoiled for choice now as I like so many of them.

He is sooooo nervous though:cry: He is fine once I am holding him but he runs away when I try to pick him up. Am not sure how guinea-pigs like to be stroked either. Do they like nose rubs like bunnies? At the moment I have been stroking his back and then around his face. He seems to like being stroked around the ears on the side of his face. He just gazes into my eyes:love:

I think he must be semi-longhaired as he has really long fur at the back. I haven't groomed him yet but it isn't tangled at all. When I stroke him I run my fingers through it - he seems to like that and I worry about scaring him by brushing him.

Ginger
Biscuit (ginger biscuit)
Crumbs (what I called my ginger bear because of ginger biscuits lol)

Guinea pigs are naturally nervous animals...it's not unusual for guinea pigs to take up to 6 months to fully settle into a new home. They don't tend to love hands on their nose, they prefer behind the ears, under the chin, little massage on the shoulders and cheeks - all pigs are different, Hoover wouldnt want people touching his back for example.

I tamed my pigs to the point they knew certain words, their names and to come when called...it took 6 months though, and being an older pig I can imagine it may take a little longer for that level of tameness. But best way is to put your hand in his cage for as long as you can stomach (I done it for hours and once fell asleep with my hand in it), be silent with no sudden movements (have TV on quietly for your own boredom). He will soon get used to your presence. Then at veg feed times, feed it via your hands. Then your smell/presence = positive. Then slowely when you feel he is more tame you can try stroking whilst he eats veg from your hand.

http://www.guinealynx.info/handling.html

Of course once you are sure he has no underlying illness etc from the store, and you get him a friend - he will gain confidence. Piggies get more confident with company.

SamanthaJane
27-01-2012, 12:19 AM
He is gorgeous!

I love the third pic down :love: adorable!

What about Sponge? He reminds me of a syrup sponge for some reason :lol: Maybe not a cute name though :lol:

What about Claude? I think that suits him!

Jenova
27-01-2012, 12:48 AM
So...... what's his name then? ;)

Rhianna
27-01-2012, 01:27 AM
So...... what's his name then? ;)

I have absolutely no idea:oops::oops:

From having no names in mind I now like so many I can't decide. I'd quite like a name that would go with another name when I adopt him a friend (if that makes sense).

I have just got in and am tired but tomorrow I think I will put all the names I like in a pile and let Peanut pick his own new name. That way he can feel like he is involved.

He must be horribly bored when I am out. Do guinea-pigs like toys like bunnies do and, if so, what sort of toys? I've bought him a treat ball and was going to put broken up fenugreek crunchies in and then realised I didn't know if guinea-pigs could eat them - I have sooooo much to learn about piggies.

Going up to bed now to let him out for a cuddle and an explore of the bed. I chat away to him when I am getting dressed and put my make-up on and am hoping he will soon get used to my voice. I'm home tomorrow morning so will spend lots of time with him and Frangipan (my new bun) as I think she is lonely on her own too.

Char-x
28-01-2012, 12:51 AM
I have absolutely no idea:oops::oops:

From having no names in mind I now like so many I can't decide. I'd quite like a name that would go with another name when I adopt him a friend (if that makes sense).

I have just got in and am tired but tomorrow I think I will put all the names I like in a pile and let Peanut pick his own new name. That way he can feel like he is involved.

He must be horribly bored when I am out. Do guinea-pigs like toys like bunnies do and, if so, what sort of toys? I've bought him a treat ball and was going to put broken up fenugreek crunchies in and then realised I didn't know if guinea-pigs could eat them - I have sooooo much to learn about piggies.

Going up to bed now to let him out for a cuddle and an explore of the bed. I chat away to him when I am getting dressed and put my make-up on and am hoping he will soon get used to my voice. I'm home tomorrow morning so will spend lots of time with him and Frangipan (my new bun) as I think she is lonely on her own too.

Heres the album on my page full of toy ideas: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.229329590431104.63998.215129088517821&type=3

And from the my New Owners Guide the section on toys:
TOYS
More on Toys: http://www.guineapigcages.com/toys.htm

FREE TOYS
- Paper bags (can be stuffed with hay)
- Loo rolls stuffed with hay (cut down the middle to avoid pigs getting stuck, as some pigs are a bit silly see: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=230971786933551&set=a.229329590431104.63998.215129088517821&type=1&theater)
- Newspaper or plain paper (nothing fancy and NO inks – newspapers tend to use vegetable based inks so are safe) bunched up
- Cereal boxes
- Hiding their veg around at dinner time
- Free ranging in a piggy safe room (electric cables etc covered/out of bounds – no areas to escape off into – nothing dangerous to eat)

CHEAP TOYS
Hideys – we believe Giant Fiddle Sticks are the best available as they are airy, and don’t get too hot in the summer or have humidity issues
Chubes – chewable and fun (medium to large are suitable)
Willow Balls
Grass Balls
Naturals Hay Tunnel SMALL (nibble size – we have not used medium as it looks a good size for bums to get stuck in!)
Guinea Pig Tents (may need some vetbed/fleece put on bottom)
Food Ball/Bell Ball (can stuff with hay or veg)
Hammocks
MORE TOYS
Naturals Hay Tunnels LARGE – (a personal favourite!)
Grass Tunnels
Play Pet Play Tunnels ( loved by pigs but they do need washing if peed on a few times)
Cozy Cups
Cat Beds (ensure they don’t have fluffy pieces – see our playtime album for safe types)
Guinea Pig Armchairs or Beds (see album)
Guinea Pig Cars (see album)

The MOST important toy? Lots and lots of hay!!!

---------

re: fenugreek crunchies, just looked them up and saw it has seed in...guinea pigs shouldn't have seeds as their digestive system doesn't process them too well and can cause issues.