• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice RE dental please :)

ElsasMummy

Warren Scout
Hello, sorry to be posting another dental question, I feel like I'm always asking similar things but everyone here is so helpful.

Elsa is booked in for a dental tomorrow but I'm in 2 minds as to whether it should go ahead or not. Basically we had been doing dentals based on symptoms (ie taking her in when she started dribbling etc.) But the vet advised that we start doing them routinely 6-8 weeks apart to keep on top of things.

So she's booked in tomorrow, just less than 6 weeks since the previous one. BUT she's literally the healthiest she's been in ages, no dribbling, eating SO much and generally v lively.

So I'm wondering whether to go ahead as a routine thing or whether to wait (and not do GA uneccesarily.) Wondered if anyone could give some advice on what they would do, have you done dentals before any symptoms arise at all before?

Would it waste the vet's time if I asked her to check her teeth before the dental and not do it if they seem ok?

Thank you in advance for your replies, don't want to be putting my girlie under GA for no reason!

I'd trust your gut if I were you. Was there a particular reason you changed from what you were doing?

Asking for a teeth check prior to a GA is a smart move and I'm sure the vet would see it as a positive thing too.

Well in between the last two dentals there were some really big spurs digging into her soft tissues so the vet advised that if we did them more routinely before any symptoms then we'd prevent her suffering (I guess it's probable that she might tolerate fairly bad spurs before dribbling.)

Just hate the thought of putting her under GA if not necessary.

She's been having lots of pellets and loads of greens every day (non hay eater) so if her teeth have improved I'll know to carry on with that routine :D

I think having a vet check prior to doing anything is the sensible way forwards :) That saves any unnecessary GAs and procedures, but equally can identify any problems prior to them causing a large problem.

I wonder if there is a way to pick the signs of needing a dental up earlier, somehow? Not all, but most of mine show signs prior to drooling when they need a dental.

Thing is, I'm at uni and Elsa lives at home, I only see her every other weekend and my mum feeds and keeps a general eye on her the rest of the time. She often 'chews on air' before dribbling and sometimes I see her hunch and grind her teeth a few times a day. None of these symptoms so far.

I think the best idea will be to have the vet check as thoroughly as possible before deciding whether she needs the dental.

Everything is a bit compromised as I'm away at uni so it's only every couple of weeks that I'm back to nurse her after dentals. (Of course my mum would sort any urgent treatment but isn't as in tune with her as I am.)

with barney he lets us know. you can just tell with his behaviour. he does dribble at times but then the day after it can be dry. we normally catch him when we see him chewing the air. from what we have found that would be te correct time to take him in.

you are right though, take her to the vets and they will give you their opinion.. always trust your instincts is what i say.

We tend to look out for signs from our dental bunny and they tend to be various signs - putting paw up to mouth, throwing head back when eating, looking like it is more awkward to eat. I would not wait until dribbling as this is normally a sign that maybe there is a cut in the cheek/tongue I believe.

Best to get the vet to check before putting under GA just to make sure it is necessary at this point in time.

FYI - I have a non-hay eating bunny who is 8.5 and he has just started to eat some hay :D It is from hay for pets and it is the one with Rye in. Might be worth a go ;) I have tried all sorts of things and all hays and this is the first time he has started to eat it. I think they do a trial pack too.

Thank you both.

She'll be going in tomorrow but having a good check before the GA.

Great news about you finding a hay for your old bun! Elsa's 9 and I've tried her on all the hay for pets and hay experts samples with no luck! She's also turning up her nose to the new FibaFirst today. I'll carry on trying though!

She's been admitted this morning :)

Vet checked with otoscope- no obvious spurs but couldn't see to the back which is where it's been bad before.

As expected, she's put on so much weight. At her illest in August she was 1.43kg, she's now 1.85kg! Bit of a catch 22 situation- more food=better teeth but don't want her to become overweight!!

One of our dental bunnies Poppy has never eaten hay in the 5 years she has been alive :lol: :roll: Tried everything.. But she had her first dental in April last year and every check up she has had she hasn't needed another! Maybe Elsa can keep hers down too :)

We feed Poppy throughout the day, she has a handful of pellets at night and about 10 pellets in the day every 3 hours or so, because she doesn't eat hay, her weight is fine, her bum does sometimes get mucky but it's easy to clean and she cleans most of it herself :) it's just finding the right balance of food for her to keep her teeth down but keep healthy :)

Hope Elsa is okay :wave:

Thank you.

Glad you and poppy have a good routine, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that today's spurs are minimal and maybe the increased greens have helped. Think I'm going to have to reduce the pellets though, she's getting a lot. Has always been very lean in the past so it's funny to see her a bit plumper!!

All went well, small spurs so caught on time. Elsa's been home for nearly an hour but not eaten yet :( normally starts straight away. She seemed v stressed this morn and when I picked her up. Going to leave her fully alone for an hour and hope she's taken a few nibbles by then!

All went well, small spurs so caught on time. Elsa's been home for nearly an hour but not eaten yet :( normally starts straight away. She seemed v stressed this morn and when I picked her up. Going to leave her fully alone for an hour and hope she's taken a few nibbles by then!

Glad it went OK. My Homey won't eat until about 8-9 at the earliest :roll: Likes to keep me on my toes.

One of our dental bunnies Poppy has never eaten hay in the 5 years she has been alive :lol: :roll: Tried everything.. But she had her first dental in April last year and every check up she has had she hasn't needed another! Maybe Elsa can keep hers down too :)

We feed Poppy throughout the day, she has a handful of pellets at night and about 10 pellets in the day every 3 hours or so, because she doesn't eat hay, her weight is fine, her bum does sometimes get mucky but it's easy to clean and she cleans most of it herself :) it's just finding the right balance of food for her to keep her teeth down but keep healthy :)

Hope Elsa is okay :wave:

what else helps keep the teeth down then? 1 of mine has dentals but thought hay was the only thing to keep that down

Some pellets claim to help keep teeth down.

Grass will help keep teeth down too. Also branches (for the front teeth) from apple trees, willow etc.

Just had a nap and woke up to find Elsa had munched all her soaked pellets and dandelion leaves and left a pile of poops. Her ears feel nice and toasty too :) so proud of my girl, she always comes through so strong! Fingers crossed for another uneventful recovery!

Glad it went well :)

Just to put my two-penny's worth in, I'd see if you can perservere with the fibafirst, they are still testing it out I believe, but Supreme told me that a 'monoforage' pellet, like their fibafirst and their Vetcare digestive health pellets are meant to help with dental wear, so ideal for buns that wont eat hay. Its 30% fibre so will be better for her gut anyway. Its a shame she doesnt like it, she'll probably come round, my two adore them and will grab and run off with one, leaving their excel pellets behind.

Certain greens are also better for dental wear, the more fibrous ones. Hawthorne leaves and sticks, blackberry/raspberry/strawberry leaves, plantain, dandelions.... the natural stuff tends to be more fibrous than veggies. Spring greens and herbs are also good ones.

Grass is just as good as hay for dental wear, dont know if she eats this, maybe mix it in with some greens to try and get her to eat some?

Back