• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help - bunnies biting!

boyce buttons

Young Bun
Hi all,

This is a bit of an odd one for us. Our bunnies have been bonded for approx 2 years and although not totally in love :love: they are bonded and do lick each other and lie together.

Recently I've noticed our female bun Zippy nipping/bitting our male bunny Boyce anywhere on his behind :shock:
I've only noticed it when food goes in or if they think they are getting food and get overexcited. Does anyone now if its just a dominance thing, or is she hurting him? He always has tufts of fur sticking out from his back now, I'm assuming from where she has nipped him?

We are off to vets in a couple of weeks for a Myxi shot, so will ask then but just wondered if anyone else has experienced it?

Many thanks :wave:

Is she breaking the skin or just fur pulling?

I would suggest a vet check of them both now, and not waiting until the myxo for that, because it can be indicative of a problem.

Is she spayed? He neutered?

It might be hormonal and related to breeding season, so it might ease.

Has anything changed in their world recently? Or in the household?

Hi,

No its just fur pulling at the moment. They have both been neutered, been done for about 2-3 years.

Nothing changed recently, they both live outside in the shed with an attached run. Zippy was a rescue bun and has been, up until this point, the most timid one. Boyce is quite aggressive with food, pulling the food bowl away from her, I just wondered if she had had enough and was trying to get her own back!

I would wonder about health issues and suchlike prompting this change. I would suggest a vet check for both of them.

That sounds grand :) Make sure that she thoroughly checks their molar teeth.

Be warned though that it may be a health issue that can't yet be identified by people so it may become clear in hindsight.

Back