• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Breeding Problems

Most people will advise you not to breed them. There are already thousands of rabbits looking for their new homes and breeding more rabbits just makes this problem worse. It may either be because the doe or the babies are not healthy enough or because she senses danger or she may just overgroom them out of inexperience.

Do you know your rabbits genetics back several generations to know that there are no health/dental issues in their family?
Can you afford to house them all seperatly in suitable housing (i.e, a 6x2 hutch with an attached 6x4 at least run)?
Can you afford emergancy vet fees for the mother and any offspring? Baring in mind that an emergancy vet appointment can be £150 just to be seen.
What would you do with all the babies? Selling them does not earn you anything if that was your hope, and there are already 33,000+ rabbits in rescue which cannot find a home and are already there due to breeding.

Why do you want to breed? The majority of this forum are competly dedicated to rescues and therefore breeding is never something which is celebrated.

Most people will advise you not to breed them. There are already thousands of rabbits looking for their new homes and breeding more rabbits just makes this problem worse. It may either be because the doe or the babies are not healthy enough or because she senses danger or she may just overgroom them out of inexperience.

Thank you for your constructive response. It sounds like there is little one can do about this then. They are either good mothers or not good mothers, so an natural instinct problem maybe.

Please reconsider breeding! enjoy the rabbits you already have!!

I had an accidental breed, and my Matilda was so so poorly after giving birth! she was back and forth to the vets for treatment about 5 or 6 times i think, I love Grayson now, and wouldn't be without him, but if I had the choice to go back, I would of made sure male and female were no where near each other unless neuted

Last edited:
Why do you want to breed from your rabbit?

If it's for the cuteness factor maybe you could locate a local rescue where you could help out with (or just admire!) some tiny babies. At least then you won't have vets bills, housing and inevitable death (of one or more of the babies or even the mother) to deal with. I can understand that it seems lovely to have baby rabbits but imagine how you would cope with death, rehoming and facing the fact that many of the babies may go to homes where they won't be properly cared for.

Have a look through the adoption pages of the site, it really is sad to see how many rabbits are looking for new homes- many of them will never get these as people continue to breed.

I hope you have a think and make the right decision :)

x

The goldenbunnies forum has more breeders on it, who may be able to advise.

I am not sure that it's always constructive to try and turn someone's opinion 180 degrees. If they are going to do something you don't agree with, at least try and make sure it's done in a way that minimises harm to an extent that is realistic in the circumstances.

Seeing as you've obviously made your mind up I'll say this....

If you really want to breed your rabbits then only ever breed buns who you know at LEAST 5 generations back on both sides All of those rabbits should have had impeccable health and have lived for a long age. No unexplained death...no teeth problems...no genetic problems. The rabbits shouldn't be related. The male rabbit should be smaller than the female. You should only breed like with like (the same breed). A short nosed bun and a long nosed bun will most likely have kits with teeth problems. Female rabbits NEED to have their first litter before they're 1 or their pelvis fuses together and the babies will get stuck.

If your female rabbit kills her litter for any reason, or they die from lack of nutrition or something unexplained, or if mum is a bad mum and doesn't feed them/ignores them then please never breed from her again...have her spayed and let her live life as a pampered pet.

You need to know that she might not survive. Complications in birth aren't uncommon, and by the time you know anything is wrong it's likely to be too late. You have to be willing to risk your girls life.

Of course, we'd love it if you decided not to breed them, but if you are you should have all of the information. :)

I am not sure that it's always constructive to try and turn someone's opinion 180 degrees. If they are going to do something you don't agree with, at least try and make sure it's done in a way that minimises harm to an extent that is realistic in the circumstances.

Thank you for that. I have deleted my post as I realised I wasn't going to get much helpful advice here.

I didn't see your original posts, however, if you would like to PM me then I'm more than happy to give you my advice based on what is best for the bunnies.

Thank you for that. I have deleted my post as I realised I wasn't going to get much helpful advice here.

I can be constructive. I am not anti breeder, I am anti irresponsibility from any pet owner :) I just can't be constructive until I have any idea what you need help with.

You've had someone link you to my thread as well which might be useful :)

It can, however, be helpful to point out possible pitfalls. I, for one, would be pleased if people pointed things out to me. I would still make my own decision, but at least I would be armed with facts I wasn't aware of and knowledge of difficulties which may not have occurred to me.

Back