• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lucky still needs vibes but is home after abdo surgery.U/D POST 38

HoppingBinky

Mama Doe
OK, so some of you may remember Lucky having an impacted stomach late last year and had to have abdominal surgery. Well she went in for a dental today and while she was under the vet had a look at her teeth and said they were fine now they're not sure if her stomach is impacted again or she has a bowel obstruction. She is having to have open surgery from the top of her rib cage down to her lower abdo. Some much needed vibes would be great. The vet has told me it's high risk and i'm bracing myself for the worst.
I don't want to loose my little girl she is the most unluckiest bunny called Lucky I've ever met.:(:(

Last edited:
Good grief :shock:

Has the Vet done an abdominal ultrasound or are they just going to open her up without any prior diagnostics ?

Sending vibes, poor Bunny :cry:

She was already on the table under anesthetic, i asked about ultrasound/xray and they said it wouldn't give a clear indication of whats going on. I did tell the vet about the impaction on Monday but they were insistent on it being her teeth.:evil:. She was pooing but only small hard pellets, then she took a turn for the worse last night and did'nt move far and would take food even by syringe she just flicked it out with her tongue. This is the second time in 4 months she's had to have a similar procedure, but because they can't feel an impaction they ruled it out. I said if she was under to do what they can for her, If they let her come out of the anesthetic she would have to go back in again tomorrow and she would be even more weaker.If she makes it through tho what happens if it happens again? I groom her everyday i give her all the love i can. Between her and Freeda (who i might not have for long) i'm exhausted mentally and i'm getting over a chest infection so i'm shatterd phisically aswell. God i don't want to loose her.:cry:

She was already on the table under anesthetic, i asked about ultrasound/xray and they said it wouldn't give a clear indication of whats going on. I did tell the vet about the impaction on Monday but they were insistent on it being her teeth.:evil:. She was pooing but only small hard pellets, then she took a turn for the worse last night and did'nt move far and would take food even by syringe she just flicked it out with her tongue. This is the second time in 4 months she's had to have a similar procedure, but because they can't feel an impaction they ruled it out. I said if she was under to do what they can for her, If they let her come out of the anesthetic she would have to go back in again tomorrow and she would be even more weaker.If she makes it through tho what happens if it happens again? I groom her everyday i give her all the love i can. Between her and Freeda (who i might not have for long) i'm exhausted mentally and i'm getting over a chest infection so i'm shatterd phisically aswell. God i don't want to loose her.:cry:

I would ask the Vet if there were adhesions formed after the previous abdominal surgery. If so then it is more likely they will form again. There are certain things a Vet can do during and just after surgery to try to minimise the risks, but they need to make you fully aware of the potential complications.

I really hope that Lucky can pull through.

It does sound very much like adhesions developing from before . . as Jacks Jane says - and there are some things they can do to try and prevent this . .

thinking of you and Lucky

I'm just hoping she can pull through, i will ask the vet about the adhesion's because they never mentioned this to be before. I wish i knew i could have done something to prevent it for happening again.:(

oh Claire..my heart goes out to you and we are thinking of you and Lucky and hope she can pull through again. Please don't blame yourself as you have odne nothing wrong and are doing your very best for Lucky. we are here if you need to chat...sending hugs xxx

I'm just hoping she can pull through, i will ask the vet about the adhesion's because they never mentioned this to be before. I wish i knew i could have done something to prevent it for happening again.:(

There is really nothing you can do to help them stop - its really up to the vets - you have done everything you can for Lucky - being there and loving her and caring and noticing when she is poorly

The vet has phoned, they found she had multiple blockages in her bowel and her stomach was full of water. He has released the water and taken out the blockages. He said that it has been caused by low motility of the bowel and stomach, he's never seen such a sensitive gut and bowel in a bunny before in all his 30 yrs of treating them, he gave it a name but can't remember what it was.I've asked for them to phone me through the night if it goes either way.Apparently it can take 2 - 3 hours for her to start moving around to see how she's doing. He has also said if she pulls through ok she will be on metoclopramide for the rest of her life. Keeping paws crossed she makes it through, thank you for all your vibes it's a great comfort to me.xxx

Back