• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Process ?

ellekay

New Kit
I've been working on bonding Jack and Jill since the end of November -- I understand the process can take a while, but I want to make sure we're heading down the right path!!

Jack is about 4 (adopted back in winter of 2007) and we introduced Jill after a series of dates at the humane society in November. Initially there was lots of humping by Jack. He would mount Jill with her head under his rear - from what I've read this can be dangerous for his "area" - so I always move him off her and try to flip him around. However, then he losses interest and then would hop away. After a couple of weeks of this behavior, Jack starting grooming Jill. She would present her head to him and he always grooms the same spot over her left eye. He is a fairly aggressive groomer and Jill will sometimes jump away, but then immediately presents her head again. Jack will groom Jill and then present his head to her for grooming, but Jill never makes a move to groom him.

In the last three days or so, it seems that the behavior has changed. Jill will present her head, Jack will groom over her eye, then engages his paws to groom her back, and then he mounts her will his head to her rear. I'll move him off and then he'll present his head to her, but she won't groom. He seems to get annoyed and then the fur pulling begins.

We've been steadily increasing their time together up until the last few days when this behavior cropped up. They seem to be fine, shortly after the hair pulling, but i'm not sure how to get them past this point.

Any suggestions? Tips? Something I could be doing wrong??

Have you ever given them food to share or let them out to play in a large area like lawn? Distractions can sometimes help diffuse potential aggression. Being cooped together can become monotonous so try a change of room or set up.

I have been leaving out some kale or parsley for them to eat while they date... Jack will sometimes even take food out of Jill's mouth and she doesn't bat an eye!!

They have been doing all their dating in the hallway upstairs - I'll change up the location and see if that helps!

Back