• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sisters constantly humping - advice needed please

helens

Warren Scout
About a month ago I took on two rabbits from a friend as she was no longer able to look after them. They are two sister netherland dwarves and are now six months old. They have settled in well after being a bit timid at first and are enjoying having permanent access to a run. There has always been a bit of humping but since Monday daisy has been constantly humping flopsy. I have now noticed that flopsy has been pulling her own fur out and making a nest. Both girls are also showing aggression when I am cleaning their hutch and moving their hay. They have a constant supply of unlimited hay. I know that both rabbits are definitely girls as my vet has sexed them for me. I have a vets appointment for a pre-op check on Thursday and their spays booked for Friday 3rd. I am hoping that being spayed will stop this hormonal behaviour. In the meantime, do you think I should separate the girls. I cannot split their living arrangements so one would have to go in a separate hutch. I don't want to break their bond as they have always got on well but I don't want a fight to occur either. Any advice would really be very gratefully received!!

the spaying should help considerably! my girl is getting done on tuesday:shock: im not an expert but as long as they are not really hurting eachother id keep them together as its only a weekish until they're done.i had 2 unneutered girls once and they humped alot but still loved eachother to bits. all the best!:wave:

They're mounting to show dominance.
Spaying should help as it reduces aggressive hormonal behaviour.
It's fine to keep them together for a bit longer if they're not circling each other, which often leads to fights and/or scuffles.
What and where are they living in atm?
Reduced space could trigger territorial mounting.

:wave:

They are in a hutch and run combo. They can freely go between the two throughout the day. The humping is equally bad when they have access to both the hutch and run and when they are put in just the hutch at night. Before they came to me they were kept in a hutch only so have more space now than they have ever been used to. Don't know if this could be making the humping worse? If they were both humping i wouldn't be so bothered but it is so one sided I feel really sorry for flopsy.

Back