• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

trying to be patient is soooo hard!

okikokikate

Mama Doe
Got a rabbit on sat. she seems quite happy in her dog crate. we leave the crate door open when we are home, but she hasnt ventured out yet

im feeling miserable today and wish I could just have rabbit snuggles

She will, does she have a favourite food you could put within sniffing distance and try and tempt him out?

Poppy will spend all day in her crate or her extension and only come out at random times for maybe 2 seconds before going back in :lol: usually about 9 or 10pm she will have a whizz around :D

Picked one of her toys up and she pounced at me.
A bit later i was feeding her bit by bit out of my hand which shes done happily before. then she pounced again. :(
Ive shut her crate now. made me feel even more sad :(

until she feels more at home it might be that shes being possesive of her area. perhaps sit there reading or doing something and she might get curious. everytime she comes up to you just contine with what your doing until shes happy to come to and fro. then you can slowly start letting her sniff your hand,take food from hand, stroke her etc.. maybe even have the tv or radio on low inthe backgroend while your reading so she feels less on guard and more relaxed.

the longer she has a chance to run freely away form her crate when she wants to the more comfortable she'll get

perhaps start by sitting roughly 4/5ft away. then see what happens. buns are very curious and will want to know what they're missing eventually. thats what i had to do with honey.where do you have her in the house? if its in the lounge you could sit by your sofa or something.

I agree with Lucy. Was going to suggest the same thing. I would basically just try to ignore bun (what is her name?) as much as possible but sit in the room with her with the crate open. Have something to keep you occupied so you don't get bored waiting! So you could watch TV, read a book, whatever. Maybe put a few treats in the room as well. And just wait for her to feel comfortable to come out and say hello. Don't go after her - if she comes to you then let her, maybe try stroking her if she'll let you. If not then just leave her to explore on her own. Hopefully when you've done it a few times she'll start to learn that you're not a threat and will come out more often to say hello!

Shes called Buttons :)
She is in the front room. so we just sit on the sofa with the crate door open. she comes to the door but then turns round and occupies herself.
She does sometimes lie down in her crate so I think she is happy in there.

well i thnk your doig the best you can and its early days-im sure little buttons will be begging for attention soon!:wave:

Thanks for the reassurance. Im a worrywort. scared she dislikes me and will never come out.
Good things come to those who wait...been supplyteaching since sept 2010 and still no permanent position :(

You say you've only had Buttons since Saturday - that is no time at all! I'm sure she will come out of her shell a bit in time :)

2012-01-26083931.jpg

This is as far as we have got. But thinking positively, she is outside of the cage, curious as to what's underneath, and was tempted out by a pile of hay on top of the stool - which she just shoved off lol

Don't worry, she will come round. I rescued Daisy nearly 2 weeks ago and she is just starting to warm up to me. She is my mo means a snuggly rabbit but now lets me stroke her and she does come to say hello and head butt me. Just give it time!

Back