• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sorry, morbid!

Hoppit!

Wise Old Thumper
When you showed your departed-for-the-bridge bun's body to it's remaining partner/s how did they react? I was just wondering following the thread about the elephant calf that died, and how her family seemed to mourn her. When Ginger left us I expected Pickles to freak out. They'd always been so close, but he just hopped around as if he didn't notice Ginger was lying there. He looked a couple of times but without any obvious distress and he didn't stamp or cower or anything. I don't know, maybe it's because he was lying on a blanket and it all just smelt like vets. Poor Pickles, he went into a deep depression afterwards which he didn't come out of for months, so I think somewhere in his little bunny brain he did know. He just didn't react in the way I thought he would. What are your experiences?

I've not had that experience yet, luckily.

I don't know.

I do know that elephants are like us in that they are very family orientated and know who's who and the ranking of various family members. Rabbits aren't like that so although they may or may not realise a bunny is dead, I don't think they would register it in the same way as humans, or indeed elephants, do.

When Jack died I put himin with the other 3 and they mostly ignored him. Minky died under anaesthetic so I asked the vet to put Snoopy with her there and aparently he sniffed and licked her a bit and then wandered off. Luckily none of the remaining buns were left solo, they were all parts of groups.

Not bunnies, thankfully, but thought I'd mention my piggies. Billie went to the vets to be pts on her own, was in a rush so just took her. Got back and put her in with Tillie and Agnes (they're all sisters) and Agnes wouldn't go near her, cowered in the corner. Tillie came up to her and sniffed her for a while then pottered off. Agnes went with Tillie when Tills was pts and on the way home she lied next to her, was quiet for a week or so.

My friends rat passed away whilst I was staying over sadly and it was a young baby in with an older girl (unrelated), the baby girl was ill sadly and passed away in the bed. My friend was going to bury her after I'd gone home but older girly carried babies body out to the front of the cage and sat grooming her, it was one of the sweetest but most upsetting things, older ratty was very upset and you could see it in her posture.

Back