• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Behaviour I am unsure of

RavenMoon

Mama Doe
I recently adopted a male pair from a rescue (Bilbo and Cloud). They are about 9 months old, arrived at the rescue together and are both neutered. They groom each other, cuddle up etc, but there is one behaviour I'm a bit unsure of. Bilbo (the slightly smaller of the two), will occasionally take some fur from around Cloud's bum. Now while Cloud doesn't make any noises, he does run away, and for a little while after will run away whenever Bilbo goes near. 5 minutes later, they'll both be laying together or playing again. I'm not really sure what to make of it, my only thought is that Bilbo likes to play chase and knows how to 'get a game started' in a way. Is this normal? Or would it be considered aggressive (even though it really doesn't seem that way)?

Thanks in advance.

Thats natural behaviour and is known as 'fur pulling' - one bun may be wanting to play chase as you say. It could develop into something more, so keep an eye on it - but for now i'd just keep an eye on it.

Fur pulling can be a sign of dominant behaviour. Its offen seen during bonding when a hierarchy is being established between the buns. Id say Bilbo is asserting himself as the dominant bun in the pair.

As Gray has said it can sometimes turn into a fight if the other bun retaliates so just keep an eye on them :)

Thanks to the both of you :) I'm glad it's nothing serious, thought it was worth asking though.

We have been watching them closely anyway to make sure they're settling, so we should notice if it escalates.

Back