• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pet plan Insurance and burring?

BeeBee

Mama Doe
Hi all,

I've read some conflicting things about whether petplan will or won't pay out for a bunnys teeth to be burred down.. Does anyone know for definite?

Thanks

Thank you ... As a newbie I didn't want to just come on and start moaning but he had small spurs which were burred down 5weeks ago when he was castrated, however he had a bit of a runny eye yesterday so we went to the vets. the vet checked the teeth with some weird contraption and said they are at 0.2mm so need doing again.

Poor little mite he hasn't had it easy and worried about the effects of the ga on him.

Thank you ... As a newbie I didn't want to just come on and start moaning but he had small spurs which were burred down 5weeks ago when he was castrated, however he had a bit of a runny eye yesterday so we went to the vets. the vet checked the teeth with some weird contraption and said they are at 0.2mm so need doing again.

Poor little mite he hasn't had it easy and worried about the effects of the ga on him.

You're not moaning, your taking an interest in your rabbits welfare, that's just awesome :thumb:

The contraption i expect you are talking about is an ottoscope. You can view the basics of a rabbits teeth with this, but not all teeth can be seen unless under sedation/GA. As you say, GA's can be a worry, but lots of people here have dental bunnies, myself included. My Ginger needs one every ~8 weeks or so, give or take.

If you fancy it, we all love pictures here, so maybe see if you could get one or two of your bunny up in 'Stories & Photos' ? :)

Thank you for being so welcoming ...I joined as I adopted Elphie from becky86 at RSPCA WALSALL

I suppose I should do an introduction thread :)

Thank you for being so welcoming ...I joined as I adopted Elphie from becky86 at RSPCA WALSALL

I suppose I should do an introduction thread :)

Not a problem at all! :wave:

If you have any questions or queries, you can PM one of the users with GREEN names, they are the forum buddies.

Yup, post an introduction in 'Introductions' about yourself and your bunny!

I'm sure Becky will be glad to see you have joined :)

Oh you have lovely Elphie! I was admiring pictures of her on the adoption pages!

Hope she and your other rabbit are well. Dental bunnies can be a worry but you'll get to know the signs and symptoms and with lots of TLC there's no reason he shouldn't have a lovely life. It's just a shame about the insurance.

The policy for pets@home says that routine dental work will not be covered UNLESS a normal dental check has been carried out in the previous 12 months. I take this to mean if mine develop dental problems then as long as their teeth have been checked yearly, routine work will be covered.

I have had their teeth checked and noted in their notes just in case.;)

The pets at home insurance is misleading as we have a client who had her rabbits first dental paid but as it is was recurring problem every 6 weeks it wasn't problem free so therefore they wouldn't pay for more than the one insurance is a minefield

Back