• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What would cause lots of dead wildies?

esupi

Warren Veteran
Went for a walk yesterday near Hebden bridge, and up on the moor there were LOTS of dead wildies. We passed at least half a dozen just lying in or right night to the path, so I'm guessing there were many more. They were spread over quite a large area but all in the same vicinity, if that makes sense.

I initially thought myxi, but they were all lying stretched out in the open, and I'd have thought myxi would have them hunched up maybe hiding somewhere (not that I know much about it)? From their positions, they looked as though they'd been running and had been shot, but who would do that and then just leave them there?

Sorry for the morbid topic - I've just never seen anything like this before so wondered what the cause might be.

Poison?

VHD?

Although as you say, i'd of thought they'd of been closer to a warren, although VHD is a quick killer i suppose..?

Poison?

VHD?

Although as you say, i'd of thought they'd of been closer to a warren, although VHD is a quick killer i suppose..?

Yeah that's what's making me think they'd been shot - that they were so exposed.

Can you let a local vet know? They might want to investigate and then do a mail shot to all bunny owners who live in the area about it.

Can you let a local vet know? They might want to investigate and then do a mail shot to all bunny owners who live in the area about it.

Do vets do this? It's right up on the moor though so not a populated area. I'll have a look on a map and see how close the nearest houses are (my sense of direction isn't that good!)

people sometimes leave dead rabbits lying about round the fields where I live,it's horrible. I could be wrong but they then shoot the fox's that come to take the rabbits.

'lamping' (where people (aka morons) drive up, shine headlights, attract wildlife and shoot it)

OMG really? I am so naive - can't believe anyone would do that! I can't remember whether the tracks where we were would have been accessible or not - definitley not for a car but possibly for a landrover I guess.
If that's the reason I also think it's very irresponsible of whoever it is to have left them lying around right on the path - potentially very traumatic for people (children?) to encounter out on a walk.

what would cause lots of dead wildies?

It could be a trap for foxes:(I saw something like this on Countryfile:shock:they called it a stink pit which they baited with lots of dead animals (mostly rabbits) then waited for the foxes to appear (obviously attracted by the smell of dead bodies) and then shot them:(apparently it's a well known practice in the country:evil:

can you report this to the rwaf and nearby vets, dreadto think if its something lke vhd, as thats not far from bury area, and if is people need reminders to vaccinate, it sounds rather odd, maybe the rspca could look into it

Back