• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worried bun might not take to a companion?

LittleEskimo

Mama Doe
My Rosie is neutered but can still be a moody so and so and doesn't like people touching or coming near her. I think that is mainly because for a while I had to catch her and pick her up to put her away for the night as she couldn't hop into her hutch. Now it is on shorter legs so I let her go in by herself which should be better for her. But am I wrong thinking she would just not get along with other bunnies? She can be very lovely and nosey but when she is in a bad mood or there is something she doesn't like then you know about it. What are your buns like before and after they met a friend?

I wouldn't read too much into her behaviour with people. How a bunny reacts with people provides no indication for how they might act with other rabbits. She could get on perfectly fine with the right friend :)

Your best bet is to work with a rescue (who spays/neuters and vaccinates) who would let you foster a bunny and would take him/her back if the bonding didn't work.

This worries me too, but Sky-O's point about bunny's behaviour towards humans not being a sure guide to how they'll be with another rabbit offers hope. :thumb:

Do you live close enough to a rescue to have them help choose a suitable partner for Rosie?

I wouldn't read too much into her behaviour with people. How a bunny reacts with people provides no indication for how they might act with other rabbits. She could get on perfectly fine with the right friend :)

Your best bet is to work with a rescue (who spays/neuters and vaccinates) who would let you foster a bunny and would take him/her back if the bonding didn't work.

I Agree with Sky-O my oscar would lunge and bite before we bonded him and he was fine with daisy and sweet as pie after with humans as well, luckily he hasnt gone back to his old ways since daisy passed

Recently done this..been there!!! But its a dream!!

I bonded my self harming little boy who lost his little sister recently.
BARC rushed a little girl to be with him and as shes a feisty Little Miss, I was terrified!!

There was no need!!xxx

totally agree with the other posters. It's in a rabbits nature to be wary of things bigger and scarier than they are, it's also in their nature to be around other rabbits. A lot of people on here have rabbits who aren't a fan of people but are happily bonded with another rabbit or two.

If both bunnies are neutered, and bonded properly then the chances are they'll be fine together :)

Oh that makes me feel better :) I think there is a rescue nearby, I will have to check but she seems very frustrated and bored being on her own but was worried about her moodyness and everything. Also she gets full run of the garden and how do you think she would react to havng another bunny in her garden??

I have got the basic idea of bonding but it seems very difficult to me :S knowing how to do it properly seems quite complicated when she has been all over the garden and stuff

I have got the basic idea of bonding but it seems very difficult to me :S knowing how to do it properly seems quite complicated when she has been all over the garden and stuff

Maybe the rescue you get the buck from would be able to bond them for you? Worth asking.

Yeah I will ask around and see what they can do. Will the smell of the garden or Rosie's hutch change their behavior if they are bonded at the rescue and then taken home?

My Rosie is neutered but can still be a moody so and so and doesn't like people touching or coming near her. I think that is mainly because for a while I had to catch her and pick her up to put her away for the night as she couldn't hop into her hutch. Now it is on shorter legs so I let her go in by herself which should be better for her. But am I wrong thinking she would just not get along with other bunnies? She can be very lovely and nosey but when she is in a bad mood or there is something she doesn't like then you know about it. What are your buns like before and after they met a friend?

i was in this perdiciment when i neutered pippa my mardy moody grumpy bun when i bonded her to olly i was so scared she wouldnt bond but after her havin a moment to show him whos boss there good together when pippa in one of her moods she will lunge and olly but doesnt bite him just dives at him and he goes away from her and does his own thing then next min shes all lovely with him. if u choose the right boy for her she will be fine it is possible :) xx

Back