• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

where to post - lost and found rabbits?

Alice's mum

Warren Scout
Hi, I've found a stray rabbit and wondered which section of the forum was best to post in please to see if anyone knows anything about him?
Thank you.

Hi Alice's mum, it would be worthwhile posting in rabbit chat. I'll report this to the mods so they can move it for you :)

I'm sure you've already done this, or will do this but this is something I wrote for someone who has found a stray.

There are lots of things you can do if you find a stray bunny, to enable him/her to find his/her owner.

Do NOT give out any details about the rabbit, just put/say you have found a lost rabbit and if anyone has lost a rabbit to contact you. Then if anyone approaches you, ask them to describe the rabbit and only hand it over if you trust this is the rabbit's owner. People can use it as a chance to get a free rabbit, so its down to you to ensure that doesn't happen. Trust yourself and your gut instinct. If you don't feel comfortable then you can ask what vets the animal is registered with and call them to confirm. There may be data protection act issues so the vets practice can call the owner themselves.

~If you are unable to keep the bunny in quarantine, temporarily, then the first port of call should be the RSPCA.

If you can keep the bunny temporarily, and it is safe away from yours then you can:

~Take it to the vets to get a microchip scan (some rescues routinely microchip those they adopt out, so its always worth a try, plus a vet check is worthwhile given its circumstances are unknown).

~Put up posters around the area it was found.

~Do a poster/leaflet drop around the area.

~Call local vets. Both to see if they know the rabbit and also get him/her registered on their found list.

~Call the local RSPCA and any other (rabbit) rescues in the area.

~Start a facebook group and hope the word can be spread that way.

~Newspapers and Radio can also be useful tools too.

Thank you.
I've registered him with the National missing pets register and I'll be making posters tomorrow. I can keep him until he finds his owners and/or a new home. He was found in Priory Street, Kidwelly, Carmarthenshire, Wales today but looks like he has been roaming for a while due to his coat condition.

Poor chap. Good job he was found by someone so caring. I hope you manage to reunite him (if it's with someone he should be reunited with) :)

Found a lost rabbit - how long would you wait for owner before trying to rehome him?

Posters all up locally and I've advertised him on local radio lost and found feature too. How long would you wait to see if an owner comes forward before trying to rehome him? I have four rabbits myself (two bonded pairs) and I can't manage a 5th! Plus he is still an entire male - would you advertise him for rehoming as not neutered or do you think he has a better chance if I get him neutered first?
He is very cute and let me cut and wash off all his dirty matted fur without any struggling or biting :D

If you could get him neutered and vaccinated that would be terrific. By law you only have to wait 7 days, so it's totally up to you after that.

If you're able and willing to look after him you could contact rescues around and see if you could advertise him on their website, etc. Remember to home check and ensure the owners are responsible before letting him go to someone.

Thank you.
Lucky I had a spare indoor cage that he is in at the moment. I'd possibly keep him myself after neutering if I could guarantee he would bond with one of my pairs but I'm terrified of ruiing the existing relationships my bunnies have. So he can stay with me until I find him a home :D

Back