• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent Help re dental procedure - please read

Roly Poly

Warren Veteran
Hi,

I'm really at my wits end here, I haven't slept through worrying about my little fellow.

Before Christmas he went to the vets for his annual booster and at the same time, the vet gave him a general check up. We've had no problems with him, he's not a huge hay eater but eats everything else readily and has started eating more grass/ hay recently. He's the perfect weight for a mini lop and seems a very happy and contented bunny.

Anyway, the vet said his teeth were sharp and we should book him in for them to be shaved (I'm sure that's not the right word). He's due there tomorrow & I'm sick with worry. He hates the vets and we always have problems when he comes home (he refuses to eat and generally sulks).

Basically, what I'm wondering is should we leave him be for the time being as like I said, his appetite is great (apart from post vet visits), he's happy and I just don't want to put him through surgery.

Any advice, please, please

Update re above,

Thanks for all your replies.

Well, I've just returned from the vet - she gave him a good examination and asked lots of questions and basically said that the bottom molars are a little bigger than they should be but if they're not causing him any problems at the moment, she would recommend leaving it for the time being.

She said to keep a close eye on him which of course we will. She said as long as he is eating, grooming and pooping as normal, we shouldn't be worried. Unless we have cause for concern, he doesn't need to go back until his booster injections in June.

So as you can imagine, I'm a very happy and relieved bunny mummy today :D

Thanks for listening xx

Last edited:
I have two dental bunnies of my own and i would suggest getting them done while he's still eating, pooing etc. If you wait till he goes off his food you would be risking him going into stasis and belive me thats a battle hard won. Talk to the vet in the morning and tell them to make sure he's eaten before coming home and that he has pain relife cover should he need it. I know it's very worrying but it really is sooner is better dental cases. Also if he's started eating hay he may not need another one for a while or at all. If you have anymore questions please ask and i hope it goes well and keep us posted.:)

I think I would trust the vet. It's better to get it done before it becomes a problem. I hope it goes smoothly. Good luck xx

Thanks for your reply.

My main worry is the anaesthetic - I know there's a risk :(

However he has had anaesthetic before and came through it ok but was a bit off for a few days.

I'm just so worried about him (he's our baby)

Some bunnies do have off days after the anesthetic i tend to give them lots of fuss and some fresh veg or fruit they like. If my bun needs abit of coaxing to eat, fresh banana always goes down well:D.

Although it's always worrying giving them a GA, it really does need to be sorted before he stops eating, as has been said. The other thing is he could injure the soft tissue in his mouth, which could turn into an abscess or ulcer. You really don't want to have either of those things to deal with.

Sending vibes for his dental :wave:

I agree with the others, I tend to look out for signs on my dental bun before he stops eating.

If you can get some Oxbow Critical Care Fine Blend it is easier than others to mix and syring and I find my dental bun takes it within a few hours of the GA. Critical care also comes in banana flavour.

Also have lots of different herbs to try to tempt him to eat and a nice bowl of tepid water (you may need to syring at first).

Make sure he has had some pain relief before you leave and also some in case you need any the next day or so after.

I also try to feed my bun up before he goes so he has a full tummy.

Good luck for tomorrow.

I wouldn't have it done to be honest. At the very least I'd get a second opinion from a(nother) rabbit expert.
As long as he is monitored very closely you should be able to take action very quickly if he is in pain even before he stops eating. Usually they stop eating certain types of food before others, so you can feed mushy pellets etc

Back