• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dylan has a new lump

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
I noticed that Dylan has a lump on the side of his cheek. His eye was also weeping yesterday but is completely fine today. I have touched the lump and Dylan didn't react at all so I don't think it's painful. He already has a lump on his side that the vet said is harmless. I just hope this new lump is the same and isn't an indicator Dylan needs a dental as he is a Very Old Rabbit and I doubt he would survive a GA.

I am on-call today and have been in work since 0800 and won't finish until 1800 as it's busy here. Dylan was nomming his breakfast when I left this morning so I am hoping he will be OK when I get home. Will take him to the vet tomorrow if I can get an appointment.

It's difficult to know what to do for the best as Dylan gets incredibly stressed going to the vet and I am pretty sure the vet won't do anything anyway all the time Dylan is eating well. It would put my mind at rest to know he doesn't need a dental though and I would hate him to be in pain, although he has daily metacam for his arthritis. The lump feels like the one on his side - it is movable. It could be an abscess but I'd have thought that would have been painful.

Any spare vibes for my gorgeous old man would be appreciated.

Thank you for the vibes.

Have just got home and gone to put him to bed and his eye now has a white discharge:( It cleaned up easily enough and Dylan was soooooo good. His lump still doesn't hurt him - he showed no reaction at all when I touched it.

Definitely vet tomorrow. Am so scared it's his teeth and he will die under the GA. He is eating and is as lively as he usually is so I'd feel dreadful putting him in for a dental if he doesn't make it. On the other hand I don't want him in pain.

Maybe the lump and his eye are unrelated. Mischief (cat) has recently had a poorly eye - and I've been treated for conjunctivitis too. Dylan's eye looks more like mine did than Mischief's as I had a white discharge. I tried to be careful but I handle Dylan a lot because he needs daily metacam. He always gets a kiss and snuggle afterwards so it's possible he could have caught my conjunctivitis :(

I guess all will be revealed at the vet tomorrow. I'm supposed to be on annual leave but have to work for an hour in the morning and then doing a bun run in the afternoon so I hope there are some tea time appointments available. They usually fit me in anyway - I am probably one of their best customers.

I can't bear to think of losing Dylan. He is such a special, gentle, old man. I put him on the toilet seat to bathe his eye and he just sat there, so good, no struggling at all. When I put him in his hutch he hopped straight out again - didn't want to go to bed but it's getting dark so I insisted.

I don't even have any greens to give him as I was called in to work today for 0800 and didn't leave until 1600 when the shops were closed. He has a carrot though.

Last edited:
Bless him, he sounds a real treasure. I hope the vet can help him tomorrow. What age is he?

I don't know. My Bridge Bun Daisy picked him when she went speed-dating which was a very long time ago. He wasn't a young bun then. He went completely grey about four years ago. He must be over eight. He developed arthritis about 18 months ago and is now on daily metacam but apart from slowing down he seems to have a good quality of life. He still comes out of the hutch into the run when it's not too cold and he is still able to climb up the ramp in his hutch to get to the upper level, despite his arthritis - and it's quite a steep ramp.

Dylan is a treasure. He has seen so many buns come and go and has taken it all in his stride. He is like the wise old grandad of my bunny warren.

I hope he has conjunctivitis as it's irritating but easily fixed - mine has almost gone now after using the eye drops my GP gave me. With hindsight I shouldn't have kept snuggling him against my face after his medication - I just didn't think:cry: - it's our routine - metacam, kiss, snuggle and back in hutch for supper.

Dylan is booked in for 5.00 pm. Should be back from the bun run and have settled Frangipan in by then.

His eye looks a lot better again today and he hopped straight to his breakfast noms and started crunching away so I don't think his teeth can be hurting. I need to get him checked for my own peace of mind. I just hope the vet trip doesn't put him into stasis - he gets sooooo stressed. His wife, Molly, will be coming too.

Some more vibes would be really appreciated - I am so scared I am going to lose my gorgeous boy.

Bucketfuls of vibes on the way for Dylan, bless him, and thinking of you too at this very worrying time. If it helps, my baby had a tooth root abscess last year and had to have his front four incisors out. He was nearly 10 years old at the time and I was absolutely terrified that I'd lose him. However, he fought and fought and came through it, so there is hope for very old buns. Keep positive and never give up hoping. xxx

Vibes for Dylan, and thinking of you too. I go out to Brownies on Mondays but I will look out to see if there is an update later. xxx

Lots of vibes for both of you from us! Are you sure it's not a poke injury? One of my guinea pigs had one and had the same discharge and a lump on her cheek. How does his eye look? Beth's went cloudy xxx

Thank you everyone. I have to leave shortly for the vet and I am sitting here trying not to cry. I am sooooo scared I will lose Dylan. He has been part of my life for such a long time and he is so very special to me.

I will update as soon as I get back.

Dylan has an infection - something beginning with c I think - connected with his tear duct. The lump is related to his eye as when the vet squeezed the lump all this white stuff came out of the eye. I had touched it much more gently which is why it didn't happen with me until I bathed his eye yesterday and then a tiny amount appeared.

As far as the vet could see Dylan's teeth are OK. I don't think he has ever had a dental. I have to flush the eye out twice a day and use my own eye drops (which is great as it's cheaper). I also have a huge bottle of Baytril (as I have so many animals the vet thought it would be cheaper that way. I am sure it would be cheaper on-line but Dylan couldn't wait that long) and have to give Dylan 0.5 ml twice a day. The vet recommended I give it with Ribena as it tastes yucky.

Dylan was such a good bun, although he kicked the vet's instrument onto the floor:oops:. I have just bathed his eye and he did struggle so it seems to hurt more now than it did. I've given him his Baytril with Ribena and he took it all.

Apparently, this type of infection can recur even after it's cleared up:cry: The good thing is it's not infectious to my other buns so I should be able to go ahead and bond Dylan, Molly and Bumble with Frangipan.

Thank you all for your vibes. I am very squeamish so am not looking forward to squeezing the yucky stuff out of the eye twice a day but it has to be done.

Dylan has just been put to bed with yummy parsley as a treat. I just hope he forgives me for taking him to the vet. There was a dog there who cried constantly who is there until tomorrow apparently. There is no way I'd have left Dylan there overnight, even if he had needed a dental.

oh karen you silly..why the heck didnt you txt me....

im so sorry the poor old mans not well. Dylans just like my bertie the wise laid back old man of the household:love:

hes such a lovley bun your dylan...even tho he needs bunny grecian 2000;)

ooh ive never heard of that before:shock: the more we all share with each other..the more informed we can be and what to watch out for. Im glad its not a toothroot abcess.

i odnt envy the gunk cleanout..sounds awful..not only is it yukky but you know its causing him pain and discomfort:(

Somehow they seem to know youre tying to help..odd as it sounds! so i wish you the best of gunk cleaning vibes!!

poor old fella i hope he gets better soon.

i have had a whole bottle of metaclopramide because i may have well with all the other buns:oops: And now bertie has a whole bottle of septrin to himself!

you know where i am karen....but i may be a bit of a mess..ill txt you later.

It sounds like your poor bun has a chalazion!I was going to say if you are using chloramphenicol drops you can also use them on the bun and a warm compress over the lump helps it to discharge aswell....

Poor Dylan. :( Hope it clears soon. Babydarling my chin had terrible eye problems. It was a tear duct flush that finally cleared it.

At least bunnies don't need a GA for a flush. Did the vet say where the pus was coming from ?

Mega vibes for your boy. xxx

Back