• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lame on front leg

Jan

Warren Scout
Poor old Ruby hasn`t put any weight on one of her front legs for over a week now. I took her to the vets last week where she had a through examination. The vet said she hadn`t broken anything and said it could be nerve damage or soft tissue damage. She has a weeks supply of anti-inflamatories and the vet said there isn`t alot else she can do. Ruby is eating well and putting the foot to the floor now but not as yet putting any weight on it. I was wondering if anyonelse has had this with any of their buns. Thank goodness she is fine in herself and is out in the run as we speak nibbling away at the grass.

I would want more diagnostics to be carried out. An Xray to see if there is any bone damage or evidence of arthritis/osteomyelitis

She did not become lame shortly after a VHD Vaccination did she ?

Thank goodness nothing to do with vacs. The vet said at the moment she wouldnt put her through sedation for an xray, best to try the medcation first since it isnt a break, wait and see if meds help. She said the muscle had started to waste on that side behind that particular leg so thinks she may have not been using the leg properly for some time. I will monitor it and if there is no improvement I shall take her back. Just wondered if anyonelse had had the same experience. Having said that she now puts foot to the ground when I try and catch her when she is out on the lawn where previously she wasnt using it at all.

Got the same thing going on with my foster bun - noticed yesterday she was holding a paw in the air and took her to the vet. Vet couldn't detect an obvious break. Gave her vetergesic and told us to bring her back for x-ray if not better in 24 hours. Some of my vets can do conscious x-rays of rabbits - Richard Saunders showed a video at the rabbit conference and my main vet has been doing it that way ever since - its amazing to watch - the rabbit just lies quietly on his side.

How old is Ruby, and has she been spayed?
She is three this spring and yes she was spayed at six months. She seems very well in herself and will allow me to touch the leg. She doesnt seem to show any discomfort when you move the leg around she does seem to use it occassionally so I wondering if it was an injury.

Back