• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Epilepsy??

MichG

Mama Doe
I have another poorly bun that I rescued from the PAH stre room yesterday. I walked past and noticed her head seemed to wander off to one side, like she couldn't control it. Not head tilt but it just seems to stray off (will try to get a video of it).
I took her back into the vets and told people who didn't believe me, they said she was "scanning" like REW bunnies do (never seen this behaviour), to cut a long sotry short a vet from one of our other branches popped in to look at her and her first response was "oh dear" she has neuro problems, poss EC, poss epilepsy or maybe brain tumour. So we are now waiting for EC blood to come back.

I told PAH they could not sell her and she needed to be put in adoption so I could adopt her (which I did!) I couldn't see her go to any old home if she does havbe any of the above problems. I was watching her last night and periodically she seems to go into a trance type thing where she sits low in a corner and sways a bit and is totally unaware of anything, you can bang, pick her up, move stuff in front of her and she doesn't flinch. Then she snaps out of it a few minutes later and is fine.

Anyone experienced anything like this? My first thought is idiopathic epilepsy?

What about all the in contact Rabbits in the store

They cant sell them til a dignosis has been established surely :?

As for Idiopathic Epilepsy, I only have experience of Epilepsy as a result of Pasteurellosis (brain abscessation) or EC

Hope the Bun can be made comfortable xx

She was in a cage alone so no other contact (whilst in store anyway) she seems fine when not spaced out, she is running around my living room binkying and exploring. She does scratch her ears a lot but vet could find nothing wrong with them.

She is a beautiful mini rex (photos later I promise). For now she is totally quarantined from my bun.

She was in a cage alone so no other contact (whilst in store anyway) she seems fine when not spaced out, she is running around my living room binkying and exploring. She does scratch her ears a lot but vet could find nothing wrong with them.

She is a beautiful mini rex (photos later I promise). For now she is totally quarantined from my bun.

How old is she ?

Talking about epilepsy, my friend's bunny is epileptic. That happened when his head was hitted by the cabinet door... He started acting just like your bunny does, it looked like he couldn't control himself and after a minute or two he was perfectly fine and normal. Right now his epilepsy is under control and he's just fine. So I hope your sweet bunny is going to be fine too. Good luck;)

Is she a red eyed white (or red eyed at all?)

How severe is the swaying ?

Some REWs sway a lot . . they seem to go into a trance . . really they are just trying to focus!!!

Some vets have never seen it and do not realise what it is.

PS with epilepsy would she not have fits? or is idiopathic non-fitting?

I don't know about in rabbits, but in humans you can have things called absence seizures, where the seizure consists of staring off into space and not responding to anything. When someone has an absence seizure, you could hit them in the face and they wouldn't even register you were there. I don't know if bunnies get them, but the OP's description certainly sounds like one. It's still a disturbance of brain activity, just not a very visible one!

Epilepsy has lots of different forms, they don't all present with convulsions, which is what epilepsy is most commonly associated with. Idiopathic isn't a type of seizure - it simply means 'no known cause'. So any disease can be idiopathic if they don't know why it happens :)

Malteser has been doing the swaying you explain as part of his EC. With the head tilting as well I would be concerned that this is EC or some vestibular issue. I hope there are no other buns that could be affected whatever the issue is. I had an epilieptic bun in the past and she displayed differently to this - she would walk, fall to one side and shake then get up.

We have run bloods which have all come back as negative, so we are off to the exotics referral centre on monday :) she is such a sweetie! Although has started cage guarding, she doesn't get shut in but if you go near it she will have you!! Hoping I can get her spayed soon!

Me too!! Aggi has fallen in love with her and if I haven't found a home for her when the weather is nicer then she is hopefully going to have her :D she is going to see Faye on monday so she is in the BEST hands she could be. She does the highest binkies I have ever seen!!

Me too!! Aggi has fallen in love with her and if I haven't found a home for her when the weather is nicer then she is hopefully going to have her :D she is going to see Faye on monday so she is in the BEST hands she could be. She does the highest binkies I have ever seen!!

She's definitely in the best possible place. :mrgreen:

Back