• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does it affect bunnies putting light on in middle of night?

Boudicca

Warren Veteran
I often go through periods where I'm not sleeping properly and wake up at ridiculous times for hours! I'd like to get up, go down stairs, have a cup of tea, be with the bunnies and read a book! But, I'm concerned that switching the light on at odd hours would affect the bunnies! However, I've been listening to them attacking boxes for some time and figure they're up and playing anyway! From a human point of view I know it messes with our circadian rhythm if we have the lights on and off at odd times and don't have a normal sleep pattern, so I don't want to upset the bunnies if it's the same for them! Any thoughts on this?

George and Gemma are in the kitchen and I have to go through the kitchen to get to the toilet or the back door so they regularly get the light put on at night as I am on-call some nights and have to go to work. Even when not on-call I usually get up at least once to use the loo. They have never seemed bothered but, even if they were, there is nothing I can do about it. They can go back to sleep again - I often have to go out in the cold:cry:

I can hear ours playing in the night. One has a roll poly toy with a bell in that he pushes around his cage at night. Two others (who are quite small) play chase in the cage - in my daughter's room but she doesn't wake up. The two in our room can be heard nomming at all hours! I love it :love:

I'm generally a good sleeper, but sometimes I get up for a cuppa or because I've forgotten to do something. I don't think it bothers Spenser in the slightest. Their body clocks are so different from ours. I'm sure any bunny(ies) who objected to nocturnal activities from their hoomins would soon let them know. ;):roll:

If possible (and I know it isn't always) I would try to use a dimmer light (lamp, light from next room etc), rather than the main ceiling light so they don't have to go straight from complete darkness to light as bright as daylight.

This is just because of a hunch that it would be uncomfortable for their eyes to have to adjust so quickly when they don't know what's happening.

Fortunately the main room the bunnies are in does have a dimmer switch :thumb:

I meant rather than a quick flit into the kitchen etc whether it would be a problem to have the light on for several hours during the night ie 1am to 4am everynight for a week, that sort of thing, then after a week or so of doing that, when I can sleep again, going back to normal pattern of sleeping and if the bunnies would have been affected?

Poppet does not approve of big lihts on in the night ~ she'll thump at me. :shock:

A window light is considered ok, unless it gets too late (for her liking) and must then be switched off. :lol:

My buns like to go to bed at 8.55pm (I'm not joking, they *know* when it's time!) and if I'm still up an hour later, they'll come see why.. :shock:;)

Because we have no sleep pattern...nikki having her M.E and FIBRO.....and terrible sleep prolems..too much..too little...catnaps..nocturnal...non nocturnal but not normal either paterns of sleep..the buns get used to lights on and off at weird times. when i have to get up and stay with nikki the buns and cats just go..oh ok...were going back to sleep so dont have the tv too loud...or the lounge lights on both ends...and lily gets me put the lamp on..she then knows im staying in my room....she then bounds into bed for her cuddles.and to pee on my bed for leaving her:oops:

bertie and bluebell are in the lounge....and in nikkis room is merlin and phoebe.

they all seem to cope ok.

but those buns whose owners who have and extremely rigid pattern may find bunnies startle at first but they will soon adapt.

bigwig is always excited to see me if i get up in the middle of the night - but if i don't sit down for a few mins and do nose rubs then that does upset him

Poppet does not approve of big lihts on in the night ~ she'll thump at me. :shock:

A window light is considered ok, unless it gets too late (for her liking) and must then be switched off. :lol:

My buns like to go to bed at 8.55pm (I'm not joking, they *know* when it's time!) and if I'm still up an hour later, they'll come see why.. :shock:;)

Poppy is like this, although it's 10:00, she will come into the lounge to get me anytime between 9:50 & 10:10, how she knows I will mever know!!

:lol:
does it upset them if i put on a light?
does it upset me if they run about and jump over things? at 2am?
:lol:
no, we just take each other as we find us....:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: brilliant. Sounds like my dad when I was a teenager - back downstairs every 5 minutes after 10pm to see why I was still up :lol:

It's an interesting question though. I suppose we say most buns are more active at dawn and dusk. But how do they know when that is if we're forever changing the lights? We should do a study.

Back