• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxo vacc. reaction

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
How long after an average bunny starts to feel 'rough' and exhibit the rough feeling signs, would you hope it would pass?

Usually no more than 48 hours. Unless it triggers a latent Pasteurellosis as happened with Bobbie. In which case she was actually poorly for 3 weeks. She no longer has any vaccinations.

Thanks Jane.

I'm 'just' seeing an awful lot of lethargy btu we're only at 24 hours now. She is on high dose pain relief anyway so she shouldn't be hurting. It's always risky vaccinating her but she got through it last time. she's due her VHD in two weeks so might delay that a bit (or totally) depending on what I see and how fast she does recover.

Do all rabbits have reations after myxo jabs? this is why im scared of letting mine have their jabs! as there fine now, but what if after there jabs they become ill!!

No they don't, far from it. Having vaccinated many rabbits, over many years, she is the first Myxo reaction we've had and she is such a complicated and very ill bunny anyway, it's not unexpected. She gets exceptionally ill whenever her routine is broken. She is not an indicator for what an average rabbit would do because she is so far from average it's funny.

No they don't, far from it. Having vaccinated many rabbits, over many years, she is the first Myxo reaction we've had and she is such a complicated and very ill bunny anyway, it's not unexpected. She gets exceptionally ill whenever her routine is broken. She is not an indicator for what an average rabbit would do because she is so far from average it's funny.

oo thats good to know! I think mine should be okay! the only one I would worry about is Matilda! shes quite an ill bunny! shes had statis afew times, aswell as her incontinance problems etc

I'm saving up for the vacs!! I'm hoping to have them all done before the quad bond in the summer! I should be able to get Matilda and Grayson vax'd in April, my vets bloomin expensive tho! £26 for myxi and £26 for VHD

what about giving older rabbits vacs? Crunchie is 6 now, and has never had a vac in his life, infact he's never been to the vets other than the snip when he was 18 months!

I would see if your vets would do a discount for multiple vaccinations.

A middle aged rabbit can be perfectly happy and well enough to have their myxo. Rescues routinely give elderly rabbits their first jabs. The only rabbits who really need be discussed with your vets as to whether or not it's ok to vaccinate, are those with health issues. However, you never lose anything with discussing all the rabbits and seeing what they say.

I have here three bunnies with no health issues, yet all 17 are vaccinated.

Last edited:
I would say within 24 hours - BUT with Damson(who had had his kidney removed) he was ill for a few days - quite seriously.

I would say within 24 hours - BUT with Damson(who had had his kidney removed) he was ill for a few days - quite seriously.

Thank you :) That's useful to know. It takes her a while to get over most things so it could easily be delayed. She's still bright and eating, just doing a lot of lying down when she doesn't feel she has to move.

How is she doing today?

Floppy took about 3 days to get over his. Don't know what to do about the VHD one now.

Thank you very much for asking :) She is a bit brighter today, thankfully.

Sorry to hear Floppy had a reaction. I don't know his story or problems, but has he tolerated VHD before? Is there any reason why his myxo might have hit him hard?

For Wish it was because she has a metabolic disorder and her body doesn't absorb stuff and also seems to work super fast too. I don't know the ins and outs but I vaguely sort of think that her body may process it faster than the average rabbit so it feels like more of a hit. No idea if that's actually what is happening though, or possible.

Glad to hear she's feeling better :wave:.

Floppy is my bun with the luxated and subluxated patellas, but he also has problems with his tummy and being really sensitive to foods. He leaves a lot of uneaten special poops, and his normal poos tend to be either small and hard, or large and soft.

He has had myxo and VHD before, obviously, with no problems. The only difference now is that he has been struggling with his leg pain. IMO he isn't ready for his VHD tomorrow, so I will be delaying it for a bit. I know my vet would agree.

Ah, I see. Poor Floppy. If your gut says not to have it done then it's totally right to follow that :) The fact your vet would agree is also good :) I hope that he does get to a place where he is stable for his vaccination, but if not, hopefully it won't be relevant for him and VHD won't be an issue for him.

Back