• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with bonding....

Oh gosh I need a strong cup of tea!!!

I have bonded quite a few pairs of buns in my time, the most recent being Cedric, from Rugby Rabbit and GP rescue, and Jess, my 9 year old lionhead. All have been successful. Today I started to bond Maize, my neutered female french lop, with Einstein, a neutered male agouti who I took from a local rescue at the beginning of the year. He has settled in well and has been living separately from Maize, although the 2 of them seemed really interested in each other. So I though I'd give it a go today......neutral place in the back garden, a run attached to a puppy pen, each with their own food and litter tray. The first introduction left me really hopeful. I had expected Maize to start fighting straight away but she just allowed Einstein to "hump" her no problem. This went on for a short while and then fighting started, usual fur pulling.....all that is usual and I've seen before. I separated them to calm down and gradually let them back in together. But then it got more intense with both rabbits on their sides fighting and I finally called it a day when Einstein bit into Maize's ear and would not let go. I have never heard a rabbit squeal like it and I was worried about intervening to separate as he would not let go and I feared him ripping her ear more. Eventually I got them apart and I have never felt so awful in my life for allowing my rabbit to be injured!! I put them both back in their separate sheds, Maize is ok and has let me check her ear, nothing too serious, a bit of blood and a small puncture wound, but enough for me to say never again!!!! I'm just not sure what to do now. Do I try them again? Do I risk more injuries? Is this a sign that this pair just isn't going to work? Neither have been in a pair before and I decided on Einstein as the rescue said he was a good natured sweet lad - which he is around us hoomains but clearly a little more feisty around his own kind!!!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to have to return Einstein but I am now really concerned about trying them again.
Thanks, Tracey......oh, and by the way, the strong cup of tea has helped!!!!!! :)

Hi ya,

I would try not seperating them, but instead setting up a pen indoors in a cold part of the house, or maybe wait until it's warmer outside, and keeping them together for 48 hours +. it sounds like by seperating they are having to re-establish their heirarchy.

Hi ya,

I would try not seperating them, but instead setting up a pen indoors in a cold part of the house, or maybe wait until it's warmer outside, and keeping them together for 48 hours +. it sounds like by seperating they are having to re-establish their heirarchy.

Hiya and thanks for the advice.

When I said I separated them it was only briefly with the door of the pen as they were quite worked up with the fighting. Maize had run into the puppy pen to escape so I just prevented them from continuing fighting for a short time whilst they calmed down, then I let them in together again. Each time I did it though, they immediately launched themselves at each other, finally with the resulting injury to Maize. I just don't know what to do now for the best as I am really worried about either of them getting hurt. I have never heard a rabbit squeal in pain like Maize did and it really got to me. :cry:

Oh I see. I'm not sure what else to suggest other than maybe talking to a rescue about bonding for you. :( sorry.

Back