• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spenser is so grumpy / update - much improved!

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
I know I tend to joke about Spenser's grumpiness, but I'm really getting a bit concerned. He's never been particularly affectionate, but he seems to take offence at all manner of things. If I could turn the clock back there are many things I would have done differently, but he really is so difficult to please it's hard not to feel frustrated.

He still does a few bunny 500s of a morning and late evening, but a lot of the time I'm not really convinced he's happy.

Last edited:
Some bunnies are just like that I think, Smudge is too. I'm rearranging their room today and he's into everything so maybe a little swap around might help?

Some bunnies are very like that, but if he is getting worse then it would be worth again looking into whether or not his teeth are causing him problems. I put Sky down to just being a grump and it turned out he had arthritis and was grumpy because he hurt. Now he is on pain relief he is a totally different rabbit and happier than I have seen him since before his neuter. Star on the other hand is just plain finickity and really stuck in a routine and a rut and doesn't cope with coming out of it at all.

You might also need to consider the possibility of him needing a friend. I know that's not easily possible, and I know you know the theory behind it, but you might find he changes with a friend.

Some bunnies are very like that, but if he is getting worse then it would be worth again looking into whether or not his teeth are causing him problems. I put Sky down to just being a grump and it turned out he had arthritis and was grumpy because he hurt. Now he is on pain relief he is a totally different rabbit and happier than I have seen him since before his neuter. Star on the other hand is just plain finickity and really stuck in a routine and a rut and doesn't cope with coming out of it at all.

You might also need to consider the possibility of him needing a friend. I know that's not easily possible, and I know you know the theory behind it, but you might find he changes with a friend.

Yes, this is very much in my mind. While it is not easily possible, if it is really what he needs I will have to work something out. I have been drip-feeding the idea at home for a while now. ;)

Yes, this is very much in my mind. While it is not easily possible, if it is really what he needs I will have to work something out. I have been drip-feeding the idea at home for a while now. ;)

:lol: :thumb: Isn't it funny how we have to do this with your parents or else they don't cope with it, and if you make them think it's their idea, even better!

And good like finding a girlie friend :D

Wow, this really would be amazing (for him & you) if you could make it happen. I feel it would improve many things and may even resolve some of the issues you have with him :D

He'd be warmer as he'd have a friend to snuggle with, he'd be less bored as he'd have a friend to chat, play & snuggle with, his fussy nomming could significantly improve (it often does when a happy bond takes place) and because of all this, he'd be happier :love: and so would you :love::thumb:

(make sure you choose a really good hay eater :thumb:)

There's alot to be said for that, because Scarlet likes to do "whatever Orinoco does" she is definately eating more hay now we have him (we cut her pellets back again this week too and they are down to a handful between them). Boo was a good hay eater but, probably because they weren't so closely bonded, it didn't appear to encourage her.
Hope he soon picks up.

Yes I was going to say this too - I think he has everything else he needs and has no reason to be grumpy but I think a little friend would be the icing on the cake. My Sooty was a miserable madam before Oreo came along. It was funny to see her change so much and Oreo ended up being boss. The snuggles started straight away and you could see she was happier..
Keep trying with your parents but in the meantime you know you are doing everything possible for the gorgeous grump xx

I know you check the fairly beloved website regularly. I would happily tell them not to worry about carrying out a home check because I have seen the set up and know how well Spenser is cared for.:D

There's alot to be said for that, because Scarlet likes to do "whatever Orinoco does" she is definately eating more hay now we have him (we cut her pellets back again this week too and they are down to a handful between them). Boo was a good hay eater but, probably because they weren't so closely bonded, it didn't appear to encourage her.
Hope he soon picks up.

I showed the photos of Orinoco and Scarlet as part of my desensitising campaign. ;)

I showed the photos of Orinoco and Scarlet as part of my desensitising campaign. ;)

Good idea!!!!

I agree with what the others have said.

I think if possible a good hay eating girlfriend would be the best way forward.

Fingers crossed that you can get your parents into that line of thinking.

Best of luck.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

BB was self harming....pulling his fur out.Since the arrival of Little Miss, hes stopped and I think hes also quite amazed at Little Miss and her attitude to life!!
He was so gentle for Lilys sake....now he can branch out a bit.Little Miss is as tough as old boots!!

Id LOVE it if a wife was on the scene for Mr Snow!!

I understand your fustrations as Beano was the same, her being bonded to Gordon did help a lot. :) She can still be a grump however if something doesn't suite. I think she's happier in summer when she can go out in their run but she does little binkies when I go in to give them their breakfast.

Just a thought...................

Is Spenser starting to moult? Considering that he used to be an outdoor bunny and is now indoors?

And....................I am liking the idea of Spenser having a lady friend. If he does have a girlfriend, they will be very lucky by going to such a lovely home, and having such a super Mummy.

:thumb::thumb::D:D

Just a thought...................

Is Spenser starting to moult? Considering that he used to be an outdoor bunny and is now indoors?

And....................I am liking the idea of Spenser having a lady friend. If he does have a girlfriend, they will be very lucky by going to such a lovely home, and having such a super Mummy.

:thumb::thumb::D:D

He's not moulting that much at the moment. To be honest I think he was moulting more in the hutch before he came in than he is now, which doesn't make much sense but we are talking about Spenser! Some fluff from his tummy always comes off if I ever manage to pick him up. He might be having a particularly grumpy day becuase I did pick him up briefly yesterday.

Never a dull moment with Sir. Spenser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some folk have bunnies that are so easy to look after and some have bunnies that are a constant challenge. I think Spenser is the latter.

Many of my friends have bunnies that have had no problems at all. Lucky them.

Me....................I've had dental bunnies, a brain damaged and partialy sighted bunny, a bunny who died of cancer, a very old aged bunny, one who suffered with heatstroke......................

I love and have loved them all. A real challenge every time.

Join the challenging bunnies owners' club!!!!! :thumb::thumb::lol::lol:

When River was an indoor bun she was a stroppy little madam........no.....a complete and utter destructobun. When we moved her outside she changed completely. She now hops up to me for attention, and is nowhere near as destructive. When inside she'd bunny500 and binky, but most of the time she looked quite stiff (something I didn't really notice until she was allowed to live outdoors. She had Eddie and was happy in that relationship, but just wasn't comfortable with being inside.

I honestly think some rabbits don't like being inside, and Spenser is probably one of them. A friend might help, but ultimately if he's not happy with being inside then his behaviour is unlikely to change drastically.

Back