• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pile of tape worm!!

rabbitapril

Mama Doe
I mentiond to fhb that my bunnies seemed to be passing white bits that i suspected were worms,she asked me to take some samples.
She rang the other day quite excited that they were tape worm segments but they were very unusual and had had to research them. Aparently they are not passed by a host animal (fox, dog ect) but are passed on by a mite:shock:
I do not fully understand but she posted me DRONCIT that is used for cats.
I asked what to expect after I used it and she said the worms would probably be re-ingested but if not I should package them up and post them to her.:shock:

WELL, tonight i put the drops on my first bunny, them 3hours later:shock: I saw a pile of whole tape worm:shock::shock:
I was shaking as I scoopd them up into a jar.
As i have to take one of my bunnies to see her on Sunday morning with an unrelated problem Im am sure she will be delighted with the fine sample I have for her:lol:

I mentiond to fhb that my bunnies seemed to be passing white bits that i suspected were worms,she asked me to take some samples.
She rang the other day quite excited that they were tape worm segments but they were very unusual and had had to research them. Aparently they are not passed by a host animal (fox, dog ect) but are passed on by a mite:shock:
I asked what to expect after I used it and she said the worms would probably be re-ingested but if not I should package them up and post them to her.:shock:

WELL, tonight i put the drops on my first bunny, them 3hours later:shock: I saw a pile of whole tape worm:shock::shock:I was shaking as I scoopd them up into a jar.
As i have to take one of my bunnies to see her on Sunday morning with an unrelated problem Im am sure she will be delighted with the fine sample I have for her:lol:

You always have to go one better, don't you? ;) :mrgreen:

On this occasion I'm quite glad not to be dealing with an unusual case that causes such excitement :mrgreen:

*runs off scratching and retching*

There's a tapeworm that infects horses that is carried in mites. I think the mites live in hay which the horses eat and it's passed along that way. So maybe it could have come from your bunnies' hay?
Either way, pics please! I love a good parasite :lol::mrgreen:

You always have to go one better, don't you? ;) :mrgreen:

On this occasion I'm quite glad not to be dealing with an unusual case that causes such excitement :mrgreen:

*runs off scratching and retching*

:lol:;)
BTH I would rather not have these "special" problems.

As for photos I have just "spot on,,nd" the second bunny, if he passes the same package i will stretch them out and photograph them if you really want me to:lol:

There's a tapeworm that infects horses that is carried in mites. I think the mites live in hay which the horses eat and it's passed along that way. So maybe it could have come from your bunnies' hay?
Either way, pics please! I love a good parasite :lol::mrgreen:

I forage everyday for my bunnies so whilst they could have picked this up from the hay, I may have picked infected wild food.
TBH, I think my bunnies have had this problem for years but i could not find a vet that would take it seriously or was that interested, until I found FHB,she loves all rabbit related things:)

WELL, tonight i put the drops on my first bunny, them 3hours later:shock: I saw a pile of whole tape worm:shock::shock:
I was shaking as I scoopd them up into a jar.

Do the white bits ever look like this? I'm concerned now because my bunny (savvy) vet sent these off to the lab and it came back as 'vegetable matter' but I've never been convinced. I've wormed with Panacur but every so often, the white bits still appear :?.

IMG_0521-1.jpg

Do the white bits ever look like this? I'm concerned now because my bunny (savvy) vet sent these off to the lab and it came back as 'vegetable matter' but I've never been convinced. I've wormed with Panacur but every so often, the white bits still appear :?.

IMG_0521-1.jpg

That's the same as mine have/had, and they were tested and came back as tapeworm. This was last year at its most severe:

P1000208.jpg

Now I only find a tiny segment in about 1 in 200 poos or so.

That's the same as mine have/had, and they were tested and came back as tapeworm. This was last year at its most severe:

P1000208.jpg

Now I only find a tiny segment in about 1 in 200 poos or so.

Thanks. Once and once only either Pea or Pod produced a whole strip of white stuff and that's what was sent to the lab. Since then, they've only produced the odd white bit (like you say, about 1 in 200 or so poops). I may have to mention this to my vet again and see about worming with something other than Panacur. To be honest, it doesn't seem to do them any harm BUT I do wonder if it contributes to their delicate digestive systems.

Thanks. Once and once only either Pea or Pod produced a whole strip of white stuff and that's what was sent to the lab. Since then, they've only produced the odd white bit (like you say, about 1 in 200 or so poops). I may have to mention this to my vet again and see about worming with something other than Panacur. To be honest, it doesn't seem to do them any harm BUT I do wonder if it contributes to their delicate digestive systems.

Same! And I guess with outside bunnies they can just pick up the same mite again as soon as you think you've got rid of it. Have no weight problems with the buns.

Panacur wont get rid of tape worm.
I am not sure how to stop them being reinfected, but I was told once they have them inside they wont go away. So even if my bunnies are relived of their burdens for a liitle while ( and hopefully for a long time) then that must be a good thing.
I hope to learn more about this when I speak to my vet tomorrow.

Last edited:

They do look a bit more like pin worms but it's hard to tell because the worm part of the photo is a little bit overexposed. The other picture that has been posted is definitely tapeworm.
Pinworms are small individual worms and have rounded bodies. Tapeworms are flatter and segmented. Usually what comes out in poo is individual segments (proglottids) which are full of eggs, that is how the parasite is spread.

Back