• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Glucose tests

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
I remember someone saying something, somewhere, at some point in life, about FHB saying about testing glucose levels in stasis episodes.

How is this done?

What does she actually recommend?

I think Jane does it. I seem to remember it's done using a diabetic monitor and a pin ***** of blood as you would a human.

Seriously? It sensors out p rick?

Thanks Ali. I think there are a couple of other people too. Would be good to hear from them :)

I remember someone saying something, somewhere, at some point in life, about FHB saying about testing glucose levels in stasis episodes.

How is this done?

What does she actually recommend?

Use scissors to trim the hair on the edge of the bunny's ear so that you can see the vein.

This is the blood glucose monitor recommended:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=300620885639
(available for £10 inc p+p on ebay)

These are the needles recommended for it, I've been given 25g ones so they are the ones I'd select.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-su...ter-box-p-4069

Use a hypodermic needle to get a blood sample from the exposed vein, put the drop of blood on the card in the glucose testing machine and take the reading. To get the blood out of the ear push the needle into the vein and then withdraw, it may be necessary to massage the ear and press the vein to get a drop of blood big enough for a sample (I haven't got the hang of this bit yet and Nigel HB said I need more tutoring :oops: I'm hoping FHB will have time to run me through it again on Tues when she's seeing 3 of the bunnies)

<4 indicates a problem

4 - 8 normal range.

8 - 14 raised, but not in the 'danger zone'

15 is of concern, needs watching, re-test in an hour or so - I've been advised that at 15 it's safe to monitor and retest hourly if OOH, but if during surgery hours I'd be getting the bunny seen for examination, painkillers etc.

15 - 20 there could well be an obstruction/partial obstruction - needs to be seen by a vet.

20+ there's like to be a full obstruction - this is an emergency and will probably require surgical intervention.

Last edited:
Use scissors to trim the hair on the edge of the bunny's ear so that you can see the vein.

Use the glucose test kit (I'll be finding a link in a mo).

Use a hypodermic needle to get a blood sample from the exposed vein, put the drop of blood on the card in the glucose testing machine and take the reading.

<4 indicates a problem

4 - 8 normal range.

8 - 14 raised, is of concern but not in the 'danger zone'

15 is of concern, needs watching, re-test in an hour or so (or get to a vets, which is my option at this stage!)

15 - 20 there could well be an obstruction/partial obstruction - needs to be seen by a vet.

20+ there's like to be a full obstruction - this is an emergency and will probably require surgical intervention.

That's awesome, thank you!

Do you by any chance happen to know if there is any written literature around about this?

Thakn you :) I have googled, but google was not my friend.

If not, it's no worry. My vet is going to contact FHB about one of mine so I can get him to ask about this as well.

thank you for being so helpful :)

That's awesome, thank you!

Do you by any chance happen to know if there is any written literature around about this?

So far only conference proceedings where Frances has presented her data, should be a journal publication this year hopefully,
Marie

Thakn you :) I have googled, but google was not my friend.

If not, it's no worry. My vet is going to contact FHB about one of mine so I can get him to ask about this as well.

thank you for being so helpful
:)

You're very, very welcome. It's just ironic that I'm spreading the word about this testing but I've yet to manage to stick a needle in a bunny ear and get enough blood to test :oops::oops::oops:

I have also used this test.
As my hubby is diabetic we have the test strips and reader in the house.
My bunny had a tummy pain the other night, hubby shone a torch through bunnys ear so i could see a vein. It only took one drop of blood. The reading was 10.8, after metacam amd an hour and half later I took another reading, it was 8.1. Bunny was clearly looking and feeling more comfortable by this point and showing interest in food.
I was prepared to take my bunny to the vet anyway, but, as sometimes happens he recoverd quickly.
I did this test to satisfy my curiosity and would always reccomend a visit to the vet if bunny seems unwell.

You're very, very welcome. It's just ironic that I'm spreading the word about this testing but I've yet to manage to stick a needle in a bunny ear and get enough blood to test :oops::oops::oops:

:lol: That info will make me feel so much better when I'm busy failing at getting blood too :lol:

I want to be able to test Autumn when he is one of his episodes. If he has a daytime episode he will go to the vets for the works, but in the evening, unless he needs to see the vet to help bring him round, it's a waste of to immediate call out fee (he would obviously go if he needed to because that's not a waste). Doing his blood glucose is something, at least, that I can do myself.

I just pricked the vein with a new needle, i found no reason to insert it into the vein as only one drop works on the reader.;)

Would the finger prickers used on human diabetics work?

I have one that is like a pen, and you just press a button and the needle shoots into the skin and out again really quickly.

Would the finger prickers used on human diabetics work?

I have one that is like a pen, and you just press a button and the needle shoots into the skin and out again really quickly.

They do work, but be aware rabbit skin is thinner than humans on the ear and it is easy to also catch your finger if holding the ear underneath where you are pricking. Painful and also makes your results inaccurate!

Back