• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tips to help a new bunny relax and not shy away from handling.

fiona0529

Alpha Buck
We have had Daisy almost a week and she is very relaxed, flopping and running up and down. She doesnt like being handled though. I don't think she has been handled much in her previous home as she squirms away when we try to stroke her. I have been sitting outside her cage, letting her come to me. When she does, she puts her paws on my leg and likes to bump noses. I've also been giving her little bits of food during this time and when she is eating, she lets us stroke her back. Is there anything i am doing wrong or could be doing to help her relax during handling?

Last edited:
Most rabbits dislike being handled :) Most will begrudingly tolerate it when necessary but some wont allow it at all. Best way to get her used to you is just to sit wuietly with her doing something else like reading

Geoff doesn't like being picked up, he is ok with being stroked but loves having the side of his jaw scritched, and his ears go all skewwif and he falls asleep. Different spots for different buns I guess. He likes having his tummy tickled too:love::love:

we have had our girls almost 3 months and today Poppy let me pick her up for the first time...untill then its been a nightmare to lure her into the carrier for vets trips etc and although she has always been happy to have a stroke picking up has taken much longer. My Daisy was a little more comfortale with it but it was still only a month or so ago that she started to tolerate being picked up. Once both are in my arms they are happy to have a stroke/fuss and they both love nose rubs and lick my hands/noise etc but picking up has deffinatly taken more time...I spent alot of time sat with them and eventually they climbed on me...and then it progressed. I just took it very slowley! :)

Congrats on your new girl! :love:

She will probabl get used to being stroked and fussed, but as others have said many rabbits dislike being picked up. This is partly becasue they are a prey specied in the wild. Spenser regards being picked up as a great insult to his bunny dignity. I do agree, though, that lack of handling at a young age can be a factor as Spenser was fully grown at 7 months when he came to me.

I have discovered she doesnt like to be picked up either over the last week. Jack also finds bein picked up insulting lol! Daisy is a year and a half old so we have a lot of work to do. Jack was ten weeks old when we got him and loves strokes and cuddles ( at his level).

I have discovered she doesnt like to be picked up either over the last week. Jack also finds bein picked up insulting lol! Daisy is a year and a half old so we have a lot of work to do. Jack was ten weeks old when we got him and loves strokes and cuddles ( at his level).

You might find that's more to do with the rabbits' personalities than the age you got them. On an instinctual level, being restrained in any way is just wrong for a rabbit, it means imminent death. Many rabbits also seem to feel the same about being touched by animals larger than themselves - it's like impending doom and although they may learn that you're ok, their instincts will still keep them on edge.

I got two of my rabbits at about 8 weeks old and the other at about 12 weeks. One of the ones we had from being tiny hates being stroked, or even being in a position where stroking may occur, the other likes nose rubs from time to time but only if she asks, the third will tolerate stroking for food but otherwise he's not having any of it - he ripped through a tee shirt and cut up my chest when I tried to pick him up once! We've had them for a couple of years now I think, so it's not like they aren't used to us. We've just had to accept they're more a look but don't touch animal.

Both my girls are 5 now & I got them when they were around 4 months (ish) One of them will tolerate me stroking her & will let me pick her up - when I say this I mean she will let me stroke her while she's eating & she lets me hold her for long enough to put her in the carrier to take her to the vets. My other girl has never, ever warmed to humans (guess it's just instinct) so getting her anywhere near the carrier to go to the vets is a challenge, nevermind getting her in it. It's like a military operation! When I go out to feed them (morning & night) I always say 'hello bunny girls' & with that they both come hopping over for food & at night when I cover them up I always say 'night, night bunny girls, see you in the morning' (I'm daft, I know)
When I clean them out (2 tier 6x2 hutch with 2 4x4' covered runs attached so permanent outdoor access) I always talk to them & they both come to investigate what I'm doing, & generally get in the way :roll: so I know they aren't scared of me being around them, but they just don't like being handled, so I respect them as much as I can & only handle them when I really have to (nail clipping, vets visits)
When I go away a friend looks after them & they won't even go anywhere near her, so I know they do trust me to a certain extent, which makes me feel a bit better :)

Back