• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Brushing Rexes

Vita

Mama Doe
I have hardly ever brushed Ada before but it seemed like a good idea now as she is moulting and she is also much more used to me than the last time I tried.

The brush has left little lines in her fur and I wonder if it is scratchy and uncomfortable for her.
There was no fur on the brush, though some came off earlier today when I stroked her. So is brushing her even any use?
I didn't want to try the metal comb on her at all.

I have this standard grooming set: https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Health+%252526+Hygiene.12/Mini+Grooming+Kit.637.html

Is there a different way that rexes should be brushed, or perhaps with something different?

i don't have or ever had a rex bunny although there coats look lovely, jane does though and maybe she can give advice :thumb:

I dont use brushes/combs, the Rex coat is just too dense. I use damp hands and gently pluck the moult :)
Thank you :)
I have tried this now, and it's a lot nicer because it's like stroking her. Though she did seem to find it a bit confusing (kept turning round and moving) and it's clearly not her favourite way of being stroked.

I have a rex & I brush him he loves it as with brushing any bunny you don't press hard it's a case of just gently resting the brush rather than pressing it into the coat, I find grooming in an opposite direction to the coats natural position can help I brush sideways across the lower back above his tail, it is a combination of effort as has been said plucking & using your hand like a mitt in circular motions slightly damp works really well. I combine the three techniques, actually sometimes in the morning he looks like a little raga muffin with random bits of fur half sticking out & I just lift them out it's amazing how much fur he produces, way the most furry of all my other bunnies.

I use a very soft slicker brush to aid in removing moulting coat, but I also use damp hands to remove coat too. When a rex is in full moult, you need all the help you can get to remove it all. :lol:

Back