• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to judge bunny weight by feel?

sierra*323

Mama Doe
How much spine/hip should I be able to feel without applying pressure?

I've looked at diagrams but it's hard to know. Tango has lost weight after the vet told me to cut down his pellets, he feels better to me, but now I'm worried that Finx has lost too much - she was a good size to start with.

I brought Finx in for an extra portion yesterday, but it was partucularly mild yesterday and I can't do that when it's freezing.

Am I overthinking this?? :roll:

You should be able to feel ribs etc. but it should be like you're feeling through a thick blanket so everything is rounded, not sharp corners.

You vet might have the ideal weight in their notes if you give them a call, for adult bunnies (once they aren't growing) knowing their individual normal/ideal weights is the easiest way to monitor :)

I have similar problems gauging what's the right weight. I had the vet check them over the last time I was in. she said she could feel his wee bones but he had some padding in the right places so he was just right. Couldn't afford to lose more but could do with putting a little on.

It really helped that I felt the bits she was talking about when I was there with her. It is so hard at this time of the year because they all look bigger than they really are with their big woolly coats on.

i'm just the same, worry constantly about whether my bun is the right weight - so i also ask the vet every time i visit. it's very easy to over worry - can't be helped we love them so

Thanks everyone! They're due their myxi boosters next month, so I can ask the vet then - hopefully I can see my favourite one (who is the one who told me to cut pellets in the first place) and she can help :)

Back