• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Difference between stasis and bloat?

megansmummy

Mama Doe
:wave: Can anyone tell me what the differences are? Daisy was treated for Stasis yesterday (metaclop, metacam, syringe feed) and we had to take her back this morning for a check up...the vet said her tummy was much better and felt alot less bloated than yesterday...I should have asked her but it didnt occur to me untill we left :roll: Perhaps i should ring and check!

So is bloating also a sign of stasis or could she have had both? Her tummy was very bloated yesterday as when i picked her up to put her in the carrier i felt it wasnt right straight away! :?

So her symptoms were the bloated tummy, refusing to eat/drink, hunched facing the corner of the hutch with her ears right back and eyes closed. I just want to know for future reference...

:wave: I'm no expert but in my mind the difference is that stasis is the start of bloat, if not rectified it becomes a more critical condition which sometimes is irreversible, both begin the same way but the main difference is the intervention time and if it works. If a bun responds well to fluids and begins to eat fibre again it can start the gut working well, if not then it progresses to bloat.

Either way I swear by dill as a herb, in the early stages of stasis or bloat hand fed wet it can work miracles but fluids via IV I think are essential in bloat - in stasis sub cut can be sufficient.

:wave: I'm no expert but in my mind the difference is that stasis is the start of bloat, if not rectified it becomes a more critical condition which sometimes is irreversible, both begin the same way but the main difference is the intervention time and if it works. If a bun responds well to fluids and begins to eat fibre again it can start the gut working well, if not then it progresses to bloat.

Either way I swear by dill as a herb, in the early stages of stasis or bloat hand fed wet it can work miracles but fluids via IV I think are essential in bloat - in stasis sub cut can be sufficient.

Not necessarily. Some rabbits will develop an acute primary bloat and stasis secondary, for various reasons. Nino always bloated first, stasis later if bloat not fixed, sometimes he would never get stasis just a rapid onset bloat, non obstructive, pain related. :wave:

Bloat refers to a pocket of gas either in the stomach itself or along the length of the bowel that becomes trapped and distended causing pain and very often reduced chest space so increased breathing rate. You can get primary bloat and associated stasis, secondary bloat or primary isolated bloat and primary isolated stasis, no bloat - any combination really.

Thank you for you replies and those links! :)

I was very suprised at the speed of her recovery and was under the impression from what I had read that stasis is quite a road to recovery. Daisy was admited to the vets at 10.30am and by the time I called them for an update at 2pm she was eating/drinking normally and had been pooping too. When i got there at 5pm to collect her she was hopping round their staff room and spent the jounrey home stuffing her face with hay in the carrier! I guess each case is different though...im paranoid now that it will happen again or that it will happen to Poppy...I keep looking out the window to check that they are noth nomming constantly!

I feed dill every day to Pea and Pod as they are prone to digestive problems. Costs me a fortune in winter when I can't grow it myself :shock:.

Back