• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My bunny's developed a limp!

LeiiMaa

Warren Scout
Hi everyone! :wave: Its my first time posting on here as I came across this website whilst trying to find answers about Monty's leg! :(

Yesterday Monty seemed to develop a limp, I've no idea how or what could of causes this as she hasn't been out of her cage over the past few days due to me re-arranging the living room where she's kept.

She doesn't seem to be in pain from what I can gather, she's still eating her pellets, hay and veg like normal, and she does her usual routine of trying to climb into my lap when I open her cage door.

One thing I have noticed is that she struggles to get comfy when shes laying down, she shuffles more then she normally would. She's not holding the foot completely off the ground, shes just trying to to put as much pressure on it [Its one of her back legs]. She didn't seem to mind when I touched her leg to see if I could feel anything drastically wrong or popping out, and I've watched her clean her leg/foot as normal, [completely spreading her toes out, freely moving her foot/leg]. I've not seen her use the problem foot to itch herself with, but she rarely does that anyway.

Any help anyone could offer me would be great!

Leigh x

Hi,

I would get her to the vet asap, dont want to scare you but that is how Lola started with her illness. Im not saying thats what your bunny has but i would get it checked out straight away.

Steph: No she's not had any vaccinations or anything like that lately :S I'm stuck at a dead end of what she could of done!

Vicki: I'm trying to get her booked into my local vets now, but I'm in two minds about how good they are when it comes to rabbit's health! [purely because I've only ever seen people with dogs there! Haha]

hmmmm . . . sounds like maybe the problem is not the foot or leg itself but further up so the problem is when transferring pressure down . .

Can you start a new thread asking for recommendations for a RABBIT SAVVY vet in your area (I don't know where you are) as this sort of symptom may need quite a few checks across the skeleton and kidneys area . .

Where is it that you are based? Maybe someone reading this could point you in the direction of a rabbit savy vet?

Well I'm currently at university in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire [Monty lives with me here]. But I'm from Burnley, Lancashire [My other half drives to and from Huddersfield and Burnley daily for work purposes] so I suppose I could look at either area?

I've got her booked in at the local vets for 6pm tonight [in one of those inside a pets at home store] and she seemed reassuring about their capability when it comes to rabbits.

Two side questions, when taking her to the vets, what would everyone advise I do with her for transport?
She's a rather big bunny and is extremely shy around people she's not used to [She's still not used to my boyfriend who lives with me!] so for previous check up's, I've always carried her [She'd never settle when we had her in her carrier in the car so we always ended up pulling over and having me carry her] but because of her leg, I don't know if I should do that this time?

The other side thought I've had is about 2 weeks ago, I got two baby guinea pigs, their cage originally wasn't next to Monty but Monty kept trying to see them, so, we moved their cage a few inches away from Montys. Monty happily sits and watches them play, but shes never had any direct contact with them, this couldnt be related to the problem could it? it's the only change I can think of over the past few weeks?

Just another quick question!:oops:

the majority of websites I've come across are saying if it is a leg/hip/foot/spinal problem, that obviously it needs to time to heal and its best to limit their space so they can't do any more damage to themselves. The only big object Monty has in her cage is flexible wooden logs [for her to chew and hide under]. Should I remove these? She startles easily and runs under these for protection.

As well, like I said about the two piggies we have in the same room, we also have another bunny. There not in the same cage, we did originally intend on trying to bond them, but it soon became clear that Monty wasn't happy about this, and while our other bunny Bowie, seemed indifferent, she's far more active then Monty, often binkying around her cage, digging, and generally trying to make as much noise and mess as physically possible, which sometimes startles Monty. Although they've not bonded, their aware of each other and are happy to share the same room, and to an extent, this has helped Monty come out of her shell more. If Bowie does startle Monty, then Monty's been known to run and hide away. Is it worth me putting Monty in a quieter room for now? So she won't run and hide as much? Or will it distress her being away from Bowie?

Just an update on Monty! :D

We've not long since been back from the vet, the vet seemed to give her an extremely thorough examination, [Probably a good half an hour we were in their] She couldn't seem to find anything wrong with her at all, she checked for obvious signs of broken bones, dislocation and infection in her toes, feet, leg, hips and lower spine. She also agreed with me that Monty didn't seem to be in any pain at all.

I think she thought we we're worrying about nothing until she put Monty on the floor to see how she was walking, then she noticed the slight limp she had. She's put it down to a sprain. We've been told to keep an eye on her for the next few days, and if she's still limping by monday, to ring up and make an appointment to have her x-rayed.

She asked me if I wanted any pain killers for her but then suggested it potentially wouldn't be the best idea as shes not showing any signs of pain and it wouldn't be beneficial for her at this point

Hi!

It sounds like something similar to what we experienced with out girl Mús a while ago. Vet said that it was a sprain and 5 days later she was back to normal :)

All the best of luck to you and Monty!

I'm glad the vet thinks it isn't anything serious.

The reason someone asked if she had been vaccinated recently was because a certain vaccine (called Cylap) which is given for VHD (Viral Haemorrhagic Disease) can cause rabbits to develop a limp after vaccination. This is thought to be because the active vaccine is mixed with a mineral oil and the mineral oil irritates some rabbits. In fact, up to 50% of rabbits show adverse reaction to this vaccine from showing an irritation at the site of the injection, to losing fur and developing sores and up to having a limp.

When you are having your bunny vaccinated, ask your vet to use an alternative to Cylap. There are two available: Lapinject or better still, Anivac. If you make your request well in advance of the appointment, they will have time to order in the stock and it should not cost anything more than Cylap would have. If you vet refuses to do this - go to another vet.

Hmmmm - if a sprain then it will be painful (otherwise why limp???) and also swollen - so I would have thought metacam (an anti-inflammatory painkiller) would have been an obvious thing to give her.

Wonder how the vet feels if s/he sprains something bad enough to limp???

Back