• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Runny Eyes after Tear Duct Flush

ninny40

Mama Doe
Hi there

I wonder if anybody has had experience of runny eyes even after a successful tear duct flush? My
10½ year old mini-lop buck, George, had his ducts flushed a few weeks ago, but is still suffering with runny eyes. The vet did a conscious flush and said it was successful, but I am now wondering why George still has runny eyes? The ducts weren't blocked with teeth roots, so I'm at a bit of a loss why the problem is still happening? Bunny has had eye drops to prvent infection and is happy in himself, but I just want to try and solve the problem for him. Any help would be much appreciated.

Did the running stop at all? what treatment is he currently on? Did he have skull x-rays?

Is it clear discharge or coloured?

Hello there

Thanks for your reply. No, the runny eyes didn't appear to stop at all. It was difficult to tell at first, as we had to put eye drops in for a week, which were also making the eyes very wet. It's a clear water-like discharge which makes the fur around the eye go hard. George didn't have a skull x-ray at the time of flushing - but for information he had his front 4 incisors removed last April (2011), and he did have a skull x-ray then, which didn't show any problems. Thank you for taking the time to reply to me.

Sometimes the ducts can have a lot of thickened scar tissue. So whilst they are not blocked by pus they are too constricted to allow drainage. In this situation the runny eyes is a chronic problem which needs to be managed by daily bathing of the eyes. If the effected Rabbit has a Rabbit companion this can help as the companion will often clean the runny eyes for the effected Bun.

Back