• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

advice needed asap xxxx

lula blue

New Kit
Hi guys,

Im posting this on behaviour and health as i have two questions that i need answering!

I need some help. My little netherland dwarf rufio was put to sleep yesterday after a week of being ill. I noticed he was lying down and struggling to go to the toilet and after 3 trips to the vets in one day they believed it was GI Stasis. He went for an x ray and they found a lump when they operated they found it was fatty tissue (which was really unusual in a rabbit his size with such a good diet- he wasnt over weight either) he came round but was transferred to a different surgery where he was on a drip and force fed to get his tummy moving, he had a seizure yesterday and i got the call from the vet to say he needed to be put to sleep. I am truly devastated because it happened so quickly. The vets think that it was something else at play and said they dont know why he deteriorated so quickly. Has anyone else experienced this? only the night before he got sick he was chasing shnookums my other bun around and binkying all over the place??!?! i am absolutely devastated. his diet was plain consisting of excel nuggets for netherlands, plenty of meadow hay and brocolli and the ooccasional sprigs of herbs. they did used to have a peice of collifliwer and carrot but the vet told me to stop giving them it as my other buns wee had become too milky?? could this be why?? i am soo upset.

Since Rufio was taken to the vet my other netherland dwarf shnookums has been really quiet and keeps hiding. she seems to be eating as normal but generally seems quiet and is letting me stroke her (she is a fiesty hemaphrodite and usually goes for me but loves my boyfriend) so this behaviour im thinking is part of her separation anxiety and grief. Ive read online that we should have brought rufio back so shnook and see him for herself, but we had already sent him to be privately cremated.

I am absolutely heartbroken for losing rufio and although i have always grown up with animals i feel that this has been harder to deal with especially as i am feeling it for my other bun who has lost her friend. I have bought her a new bed and a tonne of new toys and we are giving her as much attention as possible but she is having none of it. Ive heard that most people get another rabbit for companionship. i feel guilty and dont want to replace ruf but feel that shnookums may need it??? im confused as lots of websites have contradicted each other about how long to leave it, and what breeds bond well. My netherlands have been quite territorial so i was thinking about another smaller breed? As shnookums is quite fiesty are there any breeds that are quite submissive and less territorial that would bond well??? i know its only been 4 days since she has seen him but she seems to be getting more withdrawn,

Sorry for the long message i just dont know what to do for the best.

Any advice would be much appreciated xxxx

Lou

I'm sorry you lost your bunny :( GI stasis can come in very quickly sadly. It's a horrendus thing to go through.

Regarding your remaining bunny, she probably would benefit from a friend. If she's a hemaphrodite I'm presuming she hasn't been able to be desexed at all?
A rescue center may be able to help pair a neutered male/spayed female with her, and most will help with bonding which takes some stress off you.

Hi Steph,

My little hemaphrodite shnook was at first sexed as a girl but the vet asked me to bring her back after she had developed some more as she had an area that didnt look normal... in that time she devolped testicles and what we thought could have been a penis is apparently 'an enlarged vulva' :? heheheh she is very special! she had her wee pockets picked but the vet was reluctant to open her up as he thought that it would be unlikely that she would have female parts inside too.... he thinks she could physically be more girl but wont look inside??? i think thats why she is so fiesty. It took about 3 months of continuous bonding to finally get her a rufio friends but they were inseparable afterwards.

I think i will look into rescuing a new bun for her. At the minute its all a bit to upsetting to start introducing a new buddy for her.
xxxxxx

Hi Steph,

My little hemaphrodite shnook was at first sexed as a girl but the vet asked me to bring her back after she had developed some more as she had an area that didnt look normal... in that time she devolped testicles and what we thought could have been a penis is apparently 'an enlarged vulva' :? heheheh she is very special! she had her wee pockets picked but the vet was reluctant to open her up as he thought that it would be unlikely that she would have female parts inside too.... he thinks she could physically be more girl but wont look inside??? i think thats why she is so fiesty. It took about 3 months of continuous bonding to finally get her a rufio friends but they were inseparable afterwards.

I think i will look into rescuing a new bun for her. At the minute its all a bit to upsetting to start introducing a new buddy for her.
xxxxxx

I know there are a few other members with hemaphrodites somewhere around here. Hopefully one will see this thread and be able to advise :)

Don't rush it if you don't feel able to... Keep her happy and healthy and do it bit by bit until you find the right bunny, there are so many in rescues that I'm sure you'll find one who will slot in perfectly with your family when you're up to it

I'm so sorry you lost Rufio :cry: It does sound like Shnookums would like a new friend.

I have a hermaphrodite bunny, Josie. Like Shnookums, she has an 'enlarged vulva', but fortunately, she has neither testicles or a uterus. She was sent for a spay as we thought she was female at first, but the vet had a good poke around inside and found nothing.

So I think (could be wrong!) that she doesn't really have the same hormones as a normal bun, having no 'bits'. I would guess that Shnookums has extra hormones, having developed 'bits'.

I don't think I'd risk pairing her with an unneutered male, in case she does have a working uterus. (I'm sure we have a member here that had a hermaphrodite with fully working girl and boy bits...)

I would talk to your local rescue about the buns they have. They may be able to advise on which bun would be the best match for Shnookums. Good luck xx

Thank you Helen and Steph for your advice.

Im glad that there are people out there with similar special bunnies! I was worried incase we had a one off!!:D

Shnookums seems to be really affectionate at the minute. She had a few days of hinding and being withdrawn but she seems to be following us around alot. I have bought her a new bed and a load of toys so im hoping she is starting to adjust.We are considering finding her a new little friend so i will look into local rescue centres.

Thank you again and have a great sunday xxxx

There are plenty of special bunnies on here! :lol:

Glad Shnookums is coping a little better now. Good luck with the husbun hunt xx

Back