• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Really STUPID nail clipping accident

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
In trying to get Pip's nails trimmed tonight I managed somehow to cut one on her right hind foot to the white cuticle. No idea how as this was not the one I had in the trimmer! She kicked unexpectedly and I thought I'd just let her go...next thing I know there's blood gushing.
I got it stopped and kept an eye on her...but the nail is definitely gone and I'm concerned about how to proceed. She has been fine the rest of the evening and I don't see her in distress...but how do I keep it clean and what are the signs of infection?
Feel right stupid and angry with myself. I usually don't mess up this bad. Nail trims are not my strong suit...but still...my poor baby. :(
She's been real agitated since we got a new puppy two months ago and now this. She didn't need more stress.

Dont beat yourself up, accidents happen, theyre wriggly little monsters sometimes!

I would bathe the affected foot in boiled water mixed with salt and cooled 2 or 3 times a day. Keep a very close eye on it and take her to the vet if it starts looking inflamed or infected, or if she shows signs of pain (i.e. limping or holding her foot up.)

:wave:

I've tipped her before but only a wee bit. I took the nail clean down to it's white base this time and thought I was going to be running to the ER vet with how it bled.
I may see if I can just use my PediPaws on her in future if I don't just ask my vet to clip her. She has the murkiest nail color and even with a halogen flashlight and coke bottle eyeglasses I can't find the quick. Found it the hard way last night unfortunately. :(
She's doing okay this morning so far. But I can tell she's been stressed lately. If she hadn't been overdue for a trim I wouldn't have bothered her about it, but she's scratching her ears enough to take all the lion fur off the back of her neck. (She has terrible wax plugs in her ear canals, so she's probably off to the vet anyway to have those cleaned.)
It's just been one thing after another lately. >_<

Back