• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bertie serious seizures 2 in 2 days

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
:cry: its been awful.....he had a fit last week or weekend...i foolishly forgot to write down date etc, Then i had one early this week.....

Then wednesday middayish he had a horrific longest fit ever. Made worse by the fact hes been wheezy again and breathing probs as usual. He was fitting on his back with his legs in the air rearing up and biting his shoulder squealing/screaming thrashing around so violently. I gave him one rectal tube of valium...the polyp removal has made it so easy to administer it to him now. BUT the one tube didnt work......he was gasping screaming and squealing it was heartbreaking to watch...i tied ringing vets about a second tube.
Eventually bertie was so bad i gave him half a tube of valium and he carried on fitting then stopped. The seizure was about 3 or 4 minutes i thought...nikki says no it was at least 5 minutes cos of the time on the tv.

the vet said no way to bring him down seizing as receptionist had suggested as the stress would kill him and even after a fit dont stress buns out going to the vets. If the seizure lasts 10 minutes then i will have to get him hospitalised to make him stable...if they can. The rest has blurred......except he did say if the fitting hadnt eased up with one tube then to give him a second.

Since he recovered from the fit and the sedation of the valium hes been his normal snuffly lovable nosey self:thumb::love:

so imagine my horror when i was about to go to bed at 12.45am and bertie was having a major seizure AGAIN :(

where hed wedged himself i couldnt get access to his bottom....i had to help his legs thrashing around to move him away a bit from the litter tray edge. I got the tube in....waited...nothing......but he began leaning trying to prop himself up but perhaps not..he was still seizing horrifically. so i let him lean up against my arm but he still didnt stop.
I was opening the packet to get the second one out and he was back peddaling with his back feet again..like he was trying to get up off a slippery floor:( which made me have flash backs to willows back feet doing that as we watched her dying waiting for a taxi to vets:(

he eventually scrabbled to his feet falling over a lot...moved across the lounge to recover under a dining room chair where hes gone past few fits. I let him recover but kept an eye on him. He lolloped out sniffing out a bit of crunchy toast and ate half the bit hed found. He turned to face me let me rub his nose softly and talk to him as he staggered back under the chair. At one point bluebell lay down under the chair next to the one he was under before lolloping back off to sleep in her litter tray. his breathing slowly returned to what it was prefit......and he fell asleep. i stayed downstairs till after 2.30am then falling asleep i went to bed to take my meds. And i fell asleep.

vibes for my big old boy AGAIN please.

sometimes i wish i could film him to show others what it looks like and to show to vets too..but its not fair to leave him to film him....and the vets know im not making his fits up. so no need.

Over a year seizure free then he has one then another then 2 major ones.......hes still got his ear infection...drops got stopped whilst he was at vets and i lost them for 24hrs then found em again but only a bit in bottle.
So i got a taxi to our local vets to pick up more phenobarb pills...canaural ear drops and 4 tubes of rectal valium..and back again..i hated leaving him alone.

all the vibes you can muster....please.

What a horrible time for Bertie.i I am quite in awe of the care and attention you give him. I hope that's the last for a while.

Oh no poor Bertie. And how scary for you.

I wonder if him being unwell with the infection could have triggered the seizures?

Sending loads of vibes for him.

Sending tonnes and tonnes of vibes to Bertie and you xxxx

You are doing a wonderful job and I know how heartbreaking it is watching your beloved bun fitting in front of you. From our private chats I think you are right about your hunch it is to do with his ears again. Hopefully as that clears up the fits will cease or at least become less. If it doesn't then you can push for a pheno increase.

Massive ((((hugs)))))) xxxx

I have no experience of a fitting bunny, but I do have a epileptic sister and know how hard it is to watch and when its someone you love - i find it a million times harder.

I just wanted to send lots of hugs and vibes your way and let you know i am thinking about you both xx

Dora used to have seizures regularly none lasted over 5 mins tho it was generally more distressing for me than her as while fitting she seemed unaware if what was happening and seemed fine mostly afterwards. Hers were due to ec damage I. am afraid I don't know full details of Bertie but I tried to make doras cage indoors and hutch a safe and soft area to fit and when it happened outdoors to move her to a place of safety so she didn't injure herself her fits.were about every 2 weeks usually though more frequent to begin with and at the end. Sometimes she lost use of her limbs for 5 mins afterwards and during the time lost control of the bladder. You could ask if they could give you anything other than valium as it sounds like administration off it during the muscle spasms. While fitting is painful and more stressful I hope someone else can offer you more support I do know how stressful it can be to have a fitting bunny though xxx

Just a thought but doras were worse and prolonged when she had large blockages of wax in her ears I was given dog ear cleaner for it and that did help

omg thank you all soo much...im so touched by all the posts...:oops:

I am epileptic myself so i know how he feels afterward etc....but like me he has no warning:(

A fitting person is bad enough..a child even worse...(an old neighbour of mine her son was playing with my two girls and they called me as he was having a nasty seizure on our doorstep. I realised hed been sick and i had to clear his airway and put him recovery position and go get his mum..terrifying) my youngest had febrile convolsions every time she had tonsilitis.

but to see a pet....esp a bunny go through it is awful. Once seen and heard it stays with you. I applaud all you other bunny mummies of fitting buns...i am glad i am not alone. And for other posters here thank you so much for your words of kindness too and vibes for my old boy xx

I got hold of the senior vet who has been dealing with bertie at his worst and knew his stuff about hidden pasturella problems.

He said hes in no doubt that the ear infections at fault for bringing the seizures on.esp as hes got worse during the curent infection. He said pasturella is responsible for the ear infections...the chest/breathing problems and all of it in turn cause a seizure.

Hes advised me to give bertie his pills...3 times a day:shock: his metacam still twice daily..his ear drops twice daily...and now on for long term....septrin once a day.

i have given him his second pill today...next ones tonight at 10.30pm. it takes a while for levels to be enough to stop the seizures....about 2 weeks or so...but hopefully because hes already on a daily dose its just a mattaer of topping it up. The vet also said i was lucky to have him seizure free for over a year. With age the fits become worse and more often..in cats dogs n bunnys. He said hes done well to get to 7...and even more amazing that despite all the chronic health problems he has made it to 7...big buns like him dont usually make it past 5....but he has known some of 11yrs old!!

Berties been trundling around albeit a bit wobbly....looking for tasties we might have left handy:lol: Hes very quiet but active...good sign...i feel awful for days afterwards!

keep those vibes coming..i am terrified of him having another one tonight/today anytime. So please more vibes xx

Romy i told you i expected the vet to agree and explain it.....ear infections...thank you for putting up with my pms..and novel length emails!!:oops:

aliduncan...thank you..:wave:

weedug..spot on..bloomin pasturella has taken its share of berties good health.

bee bee thank you..yes the viwer of the person/pets seizure is the one deeply upset by the seizure. Those of us having the seizure..we know nothing..feel nothing..its why we get hurt so much. We have no memory of the seizure...but we do hazily recollect the seconds up to it and some post ictal phases..like a dream almost..then full recovery and nausea..muscle aches..chewed tongue inside cheeks....disorientation..cotton wool headed...tired....

amanda hun..thank you xx

bunlover...wow amazing what care you have given...and devotion. Bertie is a housebun..free range...lounge and kitchen but only has his living area in lounge...he has special snoozy places up and down the lounge. His ear infections mainly to blame..well its paturela which is affecting his nose and sinuses..now his ears and his chest. Cleaning out his ears theyre very dry again..hard dry ear wax...crumbles. The drops soften it..stop the inflammation etc it looks like normal wet ear wax when the drops have been working.

karen and mimzmum thank you too. xx

Aww poor bun! I had an epileptic bun when I was younger and her little fits were distressing enough. Love to you and vibes for him

Thank you guys...means a lot.:wave:

berties been sneezing snot thick white gunky snot.....so pasturellas very active. I collected a bottle of septrin today....forever treatment for him to keep infection dampened down a bit. The vet told me to give bertie one pill THREE times a day the second one was at 4.30pm...he was fasto till about 9pm....can you imagine that karen...bertie sleeping more than usual!!:shock::lol:

was worried tho..rang vets who told me to take it back down to two a day for now.

thank you all again xx

At least it sounds like Bertie is on the mend.

Hope he doesn't mind taking tablets. How do you give it to him ? Or maybe he thinks its a treat.;)

More mega vibes for Bertie xxxxx

Thank you Amanda...yes he seems to be improving fitwise..hopefully.

BUT his breathing problems have got much worse...so its the pasturella at full tilt again. Nurse at vets gave him an ALOMYCIN LA injection...its an antibiotics most likely to help with rhinitis...and hell need another one friday....if hes fought this.....and come through.

i cannot help it...i cannot be positive anymore....i know its a waiting game and which will claim him first..but then all of it is relative..pasturella is whats caused his fits....his ear infections....his snotty nose....his wheezy chest....

i guess if the loweting of the amount of oxygen he gets to his brain becasue of the breathing problems..it casues a type of seizure called an anoxic seizure..occurs in peoples too.

thank you hun..wished everyone could have met him before this heinous disease took his health. But hes still lovable and loving with us.

Sending you both massive ((((hugs))) and nosey rubs xxxx

I really hope that he does improve soon with those new antibx. xxx

Back