• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is my bunny sick?!! What do I do!?! :( .. UPDATE!!!!!! :D

LKristalJ

Young Bun
So today I cleaned Moo's cage at around 7 this morning.. When I got home at around 1, he hadn't pooped/tinkled.. I went for a nap and checked again at 5 and STILL nothing.. So, I took him out for a run and he was his quick self.. Only for about 15 mins as it had started to rain.. I got concerned.. So, I took him to my room, where he usually poops and tinkles.. And he did.. But I wouldn't say it's MUCH.. And his poopies seem to be smaller than a couple days ago! He even ate his cecals.. BUT .. I'm still worried.. I rubbed his tummy while he was on the working dryer, but he kept trying to get away.. He is eating and drinking water (I think.. I use a little bowl, so I can't be certain, but I usually do see him drinking water..) .. I put him back in his cage a little over an hour and he hasn't pooped there yet..

Just realized due to time differences, I should clarify.. It's been AT LEAST 12 hours since he's pooped with the except on once, 2 hours ago.. Ie, he pooped in the 10th hour of the 12..

I did give him some apple and carrot yesterday.. I also put some hay and fresh grass in his cage and he ate some.. Not all ..

I don't have any simethecone.. But I do have adult Maalox and Pepto Bismol.. Can I use any of these in case it is gas?? What do I do!?

I'm scared as this bunny is my life and I treat him like he were my child! I don't know what to do!

Last edited:
Can you take him to the vet to get him checked over asap. He may need a gut stimulant if it is statis but also to check if there is a blockage if his gut is slowing down. He may also need painkiller.

I have no idea what adult Maalox and Pepto Bismol are but a vet visit would be wise as rabbits can go downhill quickly.

If you put some boiling water in his water to make it tepid, he may also increase his water intake which can help in gut problems.

Last edited:
I have just seen your location, what sort of vets do you have. The best thing at the moment would be having him checked over by the vet but I don't know how feasible that is. It sounds as though something has slowed his gut down but it is hopefully getting better because he has started pooping again.

If he it's being tempted by his favourite foods then it's great that he is munching. Top his hay up frequently with fresh to tempt him to nibble.

I think he needs to see a vet if he hasn't been pooping for 12 hours :( Is there an emergency number you can call? I wouldn't give him anything without speaking to a vet first. Hope Moo will be OK xx

I would not give a bunny Maalox or Pepto Bismol. I would keep him in your room so you can keep an eye on him and take him to the the vets as soon as possible. Rabbits can go down hill very quickly.

A vet is the best option if they know about rabbits. As some people have already said he might need a gut stimulant.
Getting him to run around will help if it's gas and you can give tummy massages too. Try not to make any changes to his diet right now, feed him things he loves and lots and lots of hay!

Things to watch for are if he hunches up or grinds his teeth as these are signs of pain. I hope you get some poos soon!

I just brought his cage inside my room to spend the night with me.. No a/c tonight! As some of you have noticed my location, there's no vet that I can take him to at this time.. I just have to hope for the best.. I rubbed his tummy for a bit, but I don't know if that helped.. I know my room is like one huge litter box for him.. So, I'm going to take him out now and let him run around and hope he poops.

Pretty certain I won't get any sleep tonight! :(

So... Just an update.. Took Moo out and he's running around my room.. He did poop almost as soon as he jumped out of his cage and he's randomly going back into it to eat.. I'm a little less concerned, but still worried nonetheless. Do I have any reason to be as panicky as before??? I am keeping him in my room overnight where it will be warmer and I can watch him once I'm awake.

I should add, he's his usual active self.

He also tinkled on a pair of my Aldo shoes.. I don't know if to be mad at him or happy....:evil:

Sometimes he's lying flat on his stomach.. Other times he's sitting with all four paws tucked underneath him.. Does this help??

Giving him some apple in case it's constipation.. He had yesterday though.. Is that bad?

Sometimes he's lying flat on his stomach.. Other times he's sitting with all four paws tucked underneath him.. Does this help??

Giving him some apple in case it's constipation.. He had yesterday though.. Is that bad?

Bunnies will sometimes press their tummy on the floor when it hurts. What does Moo normally do? Julie will just lie out flat to sleep with her feet stretched out in front and behind her and with her feet tucked under other times, sometimes she flops on her side or sleeps curled up. Is yesterday the first time he had apple? I would stick to his usual favorite foods.

He's usually stretched out with his feet behind/in front of him.. So, I can't say if it's because he's in pain.. Or because he's being him.. It's the other position I'm concerned about.. Should I be??.. And nope, he's had apples before.. And he sure loves them.. He pulls them straight out of my hand!

Not sure what time it is with you now, but I would take bunny to your vet as soon as possible; they can go downhill very quickly. Apples are very sugary and would best be kept as a very occasional treat - what rabbits really need is an unlimited supply of good quality hay.

Kept him in the house overnight in his cage.. When I woke up, there was a note from my mum saying that he had opened his cage and was running around the living room.. Naughty naughty Moo! Hehe.. I put the hugest lock on the cage that I could find! He did poop overnight and he is running around the house somewhere as I type this .. He is eating some fresh grass/hay that I washed a bit, so he'd get some water too and he took some time off from trying to break free to eat it.. I KNOW this is a silly question.. But, the fact that he tinkled means that he's drinking water right?? Cause he tipped his bowl over during the night and I just put for him and usually he rushes to it but he was more interested in getting out of the cage.. Should I pick up some Infacol/Simethicone?? Call the vet and ask him what to do???

I know that apples are sugary but I know they also help with constipation.. If it is that.. But I know it could also cause gas.. So, should I just stick with the grass??

Just cleaned the cage too, so I'd be able to see anything he does ..

Quick question, i know position/posture is a good way to tell if a bunny is sick.. Right now, he's lying wit his back feet stretched out behind him.. This is a relaxed/pain free pose right?

Last edited:
It sounds like he is doing really well. I would stick to grass and herbs like coriander and mint to help rather than apple. It wouldn't do any harm to have infacol on hand in case it happens again soon. I am glad he's perked up so much.

Thank you! I'll see if I can get those herbs in the grocery today.. Tbh, he never lost his active behaviour, just some poops.. But I'm happy that he isn't lethargic at least!

It's been 2 hours and he hasn't pooped yet.. But he has had some fresh grass and pellets.. Am I being too paranoid??

It's been 2 hours and he hasn't pooped yet.. But he has had some fresh grass and pellets.. Am I being too paranoid??

No, I do not think that you are being paranoid. If he was my bunny, I would take him to the vet. Is there a vet that you can take Moo to?

Back