• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pasteurella help!

4piggiepigs

Warren Scout
I took my rabbit to be neutered on tuesday, they called 3 hours later and said they noticed him sneezing and as a precaution they want to treat him with baytril 0.3ml twice a day for 7 days.

He has sneezed a few time's but not alot or excessivly,

Is he likely to have it, and what do i expect?

will it go on his notes that its suspected or will they just say it is the snuffles

also

I am worried that if it is and its worst case will the insurance cover that? i have pet plan life cover and got the first month free to run outh 29th dec i renewed on that day and first payment was taken on the 18th (even tho they said they would take it on the 15th) and he went in on the 17th, when did the 14 day exemption start? 29th or 18th?

I thought it would be gone after the baytril, is it safe to neuter him if he does have them or is it still better to be neutered even if he does and i was told he will have to be a lone rabbit if he has it.

Dont know what to do :(

See how he goes on the baytril. I think perhaps if he improves in the week I would ask to have him on it for an extra week to make 100% sure you've got it.
Don't worry too much. Snuffles is a pain but it can be treated. Hopefully this is just a little infection that will go but if not you can try stronger antibiotics and combinations.

I don't know about the insurance but there is no reason not to bond. You might want to go for another snuffle bunny, but 90% of rabbits carry the bacteria anyway. Grim is bonded and his partner has no symptoms at all. I have been able to manage his snuffles in a variety of ways so that now, to look at him, you would not think he was ill at all.

But for now just treat him with the baytril and see how it goes. It was good of your vet to pick up on that. Did they go ahead with the neuter? I see no reason not to personally, it's a very minor operation. I think on his notes they will just write something like 'Sneezing, administered baytril to be given twice a day for a week'. You can ask for a culture and sensitivity test to be done, this is best done before any antibiotics have been given as they mess up the results. But with just sneezing and no discharge I don't think you need to right now. But it's something to be aware of in the future if it doesn't go. What is does is show what bacteria it is and what antibiotics will be best against it. I never had this done for Grim as I didn't want to take him off his medication but we came up with a good combination of medication that keeps him happy.

Back