• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

ANGER towards Emmerdale's Sam Dingle & Hunting!!!

Amour_x_

Young Bun
Right I've come on here to vent my anger and disgust about Emmerdale and the vile creature that is...Sam Dingle!

I like Emmerdale but it is really, really getting me angry about the scenes on 'hunting' rabbits! I have to sit with the remote control ready to flick the channel at the mention or even worse view of poor rabbits/hares!

As a rabbit owner I never want to see things like that EVER and don't want to see them on my TV. I dont even watch cooking programmes anymore cos of the thought of what I might see! It makes me physically sick cos my rabbits are my babies & I love them so much. Anyway let me know what you all think on the subject....

Welcome to the forum :wave:

In my opinion - and sorry but you did ask - I think you're being a little OTT and rather dramatic.

Yes you love your bunnies - as I love mine and as I expect we all do - but some people do eat rabbit (I have as a child) as it is cheap meat and in the current state of economy, then why not? I won't as I don't like it, but people who live hand to mouth - like the Dingles - have to forage where they can and if that means hunting rabbits then so be it.

Do you eat meat? I do and love it and so does my entire family. If you do eat meat, do you get so angry and agitated when the Dingles go on about eating chicken or one of their pigs? Thought not.

Calm down. It's life. You won't eat rabbit but others do so get over it!

(no offence or insult intended by the above)

Welcome to the forum :wave:

In my opinion - and sorry but you did ask - I think you're being a little OTT and rather dramatic.

Yes you love your bunnies - as I love mine and as I expect we all do - but some people do eat rabbit (I have as a child) as it is cheap meat and in the current state of economy, then why not? I won't as I don't like it, but people who live hand to mouth - like the Dingles - have to forage where they can and if that means hunting rabbits then so be it.

Do you eat meat? I do and love it and so does my entire family. If you do eat meat, do you get so angry and agitated when the Dingles go on about eating chicken or one of their pigs? Thought not.

Calm down. It's life. You won't eat rabbit but others do so get over it!

(no offence or insult intended by the above)

Surely if there was no offence or insult intended, then you wouldn't have phrased your post the way you have? Sorry, but even I find it a bit rude...

OP... I'm sorry it gets to you too much. I don't like it either and it does make me kind of cross (and yerp, I'm a veggie!) It's not nice to see it, it can be really horrendous.

My advice... Stop watching Emmerdale :D Watch something with no hunting on it so you don't get miffed!

Hugs xxx

Captain Helen

My opinion? Emmerdale is a load of trash. Turn the telly off and spend more time on RU instead!

very tru! its a soap at the end of the day, i think alot of the soaps to this to show what actually happens in the world.

same with corrie and the hitting of Faye. there was alot of anger on this but at the end of the day they are showing what happens in the world :)

Angie B - I dont think I am been over dramatic as it is my opinion just like you had yours and as an animal lover and veggie (for your information) I find it destressing when any slaughtered animals are on screen without warning particularly when it is a rabbit since I have them as pets.

Zahirre - Thank you for your reply.

Captain Helen - I will stop watching Emmerdale.

sammy14 - I understand its a soap. However in between story lines about affairs they seem to chuck rabbit hunting to remind the viewers they are in the countryside, not because of hard times.

Anyway thanks for your opinions! :)

Angie B - I dont think I am been over dramatic as it is my opinion just like you had yours and as an animal lover and veggie (for your information) I find it destressing when any slaughtered animals are on screen without warning particularly when it is a rabbit since I have them as pets.

Zahirre - Thank you for your reply.

Captain Helen - I will stop watching Emmerdale.

sammy14 - I understand its a soap. However in between story lines about affairs they seem to chuck rabbit hunting to remind the viewers they are in the countryside, not because of hard times.

Anyway thanks for your opinions! :)

Ah! I haven't watched tonight's yet and your original post did not make it clear that there's a dead bunny (I doubt if it's real, however) on set. I just thought you were moaning because the character merely referred to the fact he was going hunting (which he often does) - I didn't realise that he had been hunting and his spoils were on show.

That is an entirely different matter and if indeed I now understand your post correctly, then no, it wouldn't be nice to see a dead rabbit on the table. However, even then I doubt it showed blood and guts and was therefore simply a rabbit on a table, albeit supposedly dead.

I still think you are a bit dramatic however. People eat burgers and chips on set and you don't get cross about that so what's the difference? The burgers were still made from a slaughtered animal. Children have to know where their food comes from otherwise they will grow up thinking burgers grow on trees.

it gets to me aswell. it seems everytime they show the dingles, one of them is holding a dead rabbit. i don't like it at all.

Totally agree it upsets me as well and I turn the TV off or switch channels immediately! That goes for any slaughtered animal or scenes where an animal is harmed, including wildlife programs!

I'm not veggie, so this might be a bit hypocritical, but during that takeover tv channel 4 thing a couple if weeks ago I accidentally flicked over just in time to see Hugh F-W skinning a rabbit. I welled up a little and changed the channel.

If you feel very strongly, write a calmly worded explanatory letter to the production company. Otherwise, I'm afraid it's probably best to just stop watching.

Emmerdale does have significantly fewer farming scenes than they used to - presumably partly due to complaints. I guess rabbits were considered not to cause undue upset...

I just turned the channel over and watched something else, I do the same if I'm watching a cookery programme and they are cooking rabbit, it's not nice but sadly it's life.

Right I've come on here to vent my anger and disgust about Emmerdale and the vile creature that is...Sam Dingle!
I like Emmerdale but it is really, really getting me angry about the scenes on 'hunting' rabbits! I have to sit with the remote control ready to flick the channel at the mention or even worse view of poor rabbits/hares!

As a rabbit owner I never want to see things like that EVER and don't want to see them on my TV. I dont even watch cooking programmes anymore cos of the thought of what I might see! It makes me physically sick cos my rabbits are my babies & I love them so much. Anyway let me know what you all think on the subject....

I think that's a little strong, he's a character on a TV programme! I don't like watching people cooking rabbit dishes or skinning a rabbit on a cookery programme, it gives me the heebie jeebies, and don't like watching Bear Grylls kill animals for food for the sake of a survival programme, but I quite like Emmerdale (although not as much once Jackson died!) and I think Sam's really sweet bless him. I think the Dingle family portray a hard-up farming family pretty well, personally.

I didn't see last night's but very much doubt that any slaughtered animal, especially one on a kitchen table, was actually real. Try not to take it so personally, we all love our bunnies, but I'm pretty sure these days, no animals are harmed, much less killed, for a TV soap :)

Last edited:
I think that's a little strong, he's a character on a TV programme! I don't like watching people cooking rabbit dishes or skinning a rabbit on a cookery programme, it gives me the heebie jeebies, and don't like watching Bear Grylls kill animals for food for the sake of a survival programme, but I quite like Emmerdale (although not as much once Jackson died!) and I think Sam's really sweet bless him. I think the Dingle family portray a hard-up farming family pretty well, personally.

I didn't see last night's but very much doubt that any slaughtered animal, especially one on a kitchen table, was actually real. Try not to take it so personally, we all love our bunnies, but I'm pretty sure these days, no animals are harmed, much less killed, for a TV soap :)

I saw the episode and I would definitely say it was real(there was also a pheasant) but I completely agree with your post. Also for people who are not vegetarian how do you think you get the meat on your table? It's not nice at all but it is what happens im afraid.:(

I can't stand it either, I don't actually see the need to show it personally - it seems far from reality for me as I don't know anyone who eats rabbits let alone go out to 'hunt' them or 'poach' them. I guess it does go on in this country still though and in some ways maybe it's preferable than intensive farming them, at least wildies are wild and free and they don't have a naturally long life wild as it's so tough to survive. I guess it's just the species arguement again, we are all united in horror in the UK that some countries eat dogs and cats but we happily munch on pigs or cows or rabbits.:roll:

I can't stand it either, I don't actually see the need to show it personally - it seems far from reality for me as I don't know anyone who eats rabbits let alone go out to 'hunt' them or 'poach' them. I guess it does go on in this country still though and in some ways maybe it's preferable than intensive farming them, at least wildies are wild and free and they don't have a naturally long life wild as it's so tough to survive. I guess it's just the species arguement again, we are all united in horror in the UK that some countries eat dogs and cats but we happily munch on pigs or cows or rabbits.:roll:

Yep, unfortunately! :(

this is my opinion and isnt meant to insult

personally I think its an overreaction to get so angry about it, if you dont like it turn it over like with anything, some people find sexual scenes in films insulting and vulgar so they turn over, some people hate violence so they turn over etc... If i see something where a rabbit is being harmed I turn over. Emmerdale is fiction not real and should be taken as such... It may seem real but its not. It they were actually harming animals ie a hunting show etc.. then thats different as its non fiction and you could write to complain about it, but even then if it upsets you dont watch it.

I dont like seeing animal cruelty so I dont watch it... if you didnt know it was going to happen and couldnt avoid seeing it that is unfortunate but still its not real. The only thing I can suggest is write in and say that you would prefer if there was a warning at the start of the program if there are going to be scenes of that nature so you can avoid it in the future

I think rabbits are seen as pests in the countryside and I would rather they be shot and die quickly rather than die a long slow death from myxi. Obviously I would rather they be left to enjoy a long healthy life.

I have bunnies and would never eat rabbit but I am not vegetarian. I do, however know lots of people who eat rabbit, including one who has a shotgun licence and regularly hunts and eats rabbits.

He strongly believes in only killing what he intends to use and does not kill for sport. We discussed it when we first met, but have since agreed to disagree and not talk about it.

Last edited:
this is my opinion and isnt meant to insult

personally I think its an overreaction to get so angry about it, if you dont like it turn it over like with anything, some people find sexual scenes in films insulting and vulgar so they turn over, some people hate violence so they turn over etc... If i see something where a rabbit is being harmed I turn over. Emmerdale is fiction not real and should be taken as such... It may seem real but its not. It they were actually harming animals ie a hunting show etc.. then thats different as its non fiction and you could write to complain about it, but even then if it upsets you dont watch it.

I dont like seeing animal cruelty so I dont watch it... if you didnt know it was going to happen and couldnt avoid seeing it that is unfortunate but still its not real. The only thing I can suggest is write in and say that you would prefer if there was a warning at the start of the program if there are going to be scenes of that nature so you can avoid it in the future

Well said :thumb:

Back