• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Metacam opinion

Is it better for long term illness to give metacam once daily or split into two doses

• Once daily

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Split into two doses morning and night

Votes: 12 92.3%

• Total voters

BinkyBun

Wise Old Thumper
For chronic long term illnesses, do you prefer to give metacam in one daily dose or split into two doses morn and night? Which is better?

For my bunnies on longterm Metacam (i.e. for the rest of their lives) I have found it far more effective to dose half, twice a day.

I give once a day, have never thought of twice daily. Would not be adverse to twice daily, so will be happy to see the results of this poll x

Interesting.

Dylan has one dose at night because that's what the vet said to do. It would make more sense to me to halve the dose though as he is more active in the day than at night because he has access to his run (is shut away in his hutch at night because the run isn't attached).

Wish I could ask him what he would prefer (well, I can ask him but my bunny isn't fluent so I won't understand his response:cry:)

I treat every case on it's own merit. So for us it is no 'one size fits all' and we tinker about with dose rates (under Veterinary guidance of course) until the individual Bunny is receiving the appropriate analgesic cover :)

Its interesting. My Darcy is having his once a day but I am wondering whether twice is better. Do you think size of rabbit is a factor?

When I had bunnies I noticed that the Metacam seemed to lose effectiveness at around 18 hours in. I split it into 12 hourly doses and solved that problem. Cassie piggy has been on Metacam for a long time, and she has 12 hourly doses too.

What about arthritis and spondylosis pain?

The three I have on long term pain relief all have bone related issues (one of whom has arthritis). When he was dosed once a day he got a 'low' where the pain relief wore off and he would sink right down, so I copied for him what I had already mastered for Wish and Flame, and that was dosing twice a day and he stopped having his lows. Actually, I haven't seen him happier since he was neutered, which was in September 2007.

If I had another bunny with arthritis I wouldn't mess about with dosing once a day because I have found it is more effective done twice a day.

The three I have on long term pain relief all have bone related issues (one of whom has arthritis). When he was dosed once a day he got a 'low' where the pain relief wore off and he would sink right down, so I copied for him what I had already mastered for Wish and Flame, and that was dosing twice a day and he stopped having his lows. Actually, I haven't seen him happier since he was neutered, which was in September 2007.

If I had another bunny with arthritis I wouldn't mess about with dosing once a day because I have found it is more effective done twice a day.

Thanks I think I will start doing this for Darcy too. He doesn't ever seem to be in pain but he does seem to get a bit stiff.

[/B]

Thanks I think I will start doing this for Darcy too. He doesn't ever seem to be in pain but he does seem to get a bit stiff.

It would be sensible to discuss any changes with your vet before making them. I was always dosing under my vets advice due the fact it is a prescription only med.

Very good to know. Would you say this was better for pain relief rather than that anti inflammatory effect? Would one dose be better for that and two for pain relief? I'm just wondering as when Grim has Loxicom/Metacam it's when his eyes get swollen. Obviously it hurts but most important is to get the inflammation down.

This thread is very useful. :wave:

Back