• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Getting rid of an obsessive behavior

Snooba

Warren Scout
Mandy just had to look herself a new problem. :3

I am having an issue with her dewlap, as she spends pretty much all day cleaning one area of it (right below her chin). She has lost all fur in that zone, and the skin is irritated and with small wound marks. I am treating her with a cream that does a wonderful job, but as soon as its cured, she starts licking again and we are back to square one.

The problem is not the skin itself, I can heal that pretty well in a couple of days, the issue is that obsession of cleaning her dewlap to the point where it starts to hurt.

I was wondering, is there anything (bunny safe, of course) with a horrible taste I can put on her dewlap skin? So that when she tries to lick it she will go "EWWWWWW".
I need to get rid of that habit, so any ideas would be welcome =P

Last edited:
Obsessive dewlap cleaning can be a sign of pain elsewhere, especially the ears or due to having a soiled/sore rear end that Bun cannot clean. Some Rabbits with Dental problems may also pull at their Dewlap. Another possibility is cheyletiella mites, not directly effecting the dewlap but another part of the body the bun cannot access eg the middle of the back or the base of the tail.

I would advise you to get her thoroughly checked over by your Vet. The obsessive behaviour may actually be a symptom of a completely different problem.

I booked her for a checkup today. Her bum is clean and she isn't a dental bun (her last checkup was 2 months ago, and she had perfect teeth). I don't think its pain or mites either, as she is acting normal and her skin is pristine, though my vet will decide =p.

Thanks!

Stereotypical behaviour is a sign of stress or distress.

As jacks-jane pointed out, the issue is not likely to be the actual dewlap itself, but something else, either physical or psychological.

It could be discomfort somewhere else in the body, or more commonly over grooming is a stereotypical behaviour developed as a result of psychological stress, usually boredom or an environment that is not stimulating enough.

Not saying you don't provide stimulation or a nice environment, I'm sure you do. But some individual animals are more prone to boredom than others and need a lot more extra stimulation that usual.

Is the bun bonded?

Well, the visit to the doc went fairly well considering (she hates cars). Nothing physical was detected, teeth are fine, no mites and no visible pain were anywhere to be found. My vet agrees with Guy here, it might be boredom. She has plenty of toys and runs around quite a bit, but I guess I need to get her even more.

I already devised a bunch of cardboard toys, a new telephone book to destroy, and I already ordered a batch of twig and grass balls from the US.

As I type this she is inside a paper bag, trying to make a hole to exit from the other side :D

Nope, she isn't. No one here is even close to be qualified to get such an operation done (and if there are, they have zero experience, like my vet).

You think its something hormonal?

She seems tamer today though, haven't seen her licking herself much, as now she is a continuous war with 5 paper bags and the new telephone book :love:

Last edited:
Nope, she isn't. No one here is even close to be qualified to get such an operation done (and if there are, they have zero experience, like my vet).

You think its something hormonal?

She seems tamer today though, haven't seen her licking herself much, as now she is a continuous war with 5 paper bags and the new telephone book :love:

Yes, it probably is hormonal. Does pluck their fur when nesting. She may be having multiple pseudopregnancies. Unless there is any chance that she is actually pregnant.............

Back