• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Underlying cause of stasis? Advice please

lauraj27

Warren Scout
Hi there,

Some you may have seen my previous threads regarding Harley. Basically is he is an 18month old dwarf lop weighing approimately 2.5Kg, however in the last four months he has gone into stasis three times. We are obviously keen to find out what the underlying cause of this is; the vet has had a check of his teeth and there are some spurs but they are only very small and he is displaying no other symptoms.

One of the vets at the practice has suggested that we test Harley for E.C. but I'm not convinced that E.C. would manifest itself in this manner, and we treat him with panacur every few months. Our usual vet has suggested an x-ray of his tummy and skull as well as a dental, which is what I am more inclined to go for (the vet who suggested E.C. had previously suggested bladder stones).

I was just after some advice about whether E.C. could cause stasis, and whether given the circumstances we should have him tested for E.C.
Thanks

There are medical reasons, such as the ones you are looking at (and I too would be more inclined to do x-rays and blood tests) but also factors in the environment, like particular weather, particular break/change in routine, appearance of a predator, diet, things like that, so it really can be a process of elimination and guess work to work it out.

It might be worth charting things to see if that can bring around any obvious trends.

I doubt EC in itself would cause stasis (please someone correct me if I'm wrong) but EC could be responsible for some changes/damage that has occurred to organs etc that could be causing the stasis episodes (eg response to pain etc).

A prime example: Artie at age 3 - 4 had several stasis episodes, they just seemed to be "gut problems", nothng else to see. One day he went into stasis and by the time I got him to the vets he'd done a huge chalky wee. He had actually been suffering from bladder sludge all along (he never wee'd it out so there ws no evidence but it was causing, by this time, a pretty nasty infection). Therefore abdominal x-ray sounds like a sensible move. A couple of years later Artie went on to develop kidney stones and was tested for EC at that point and tested positive. It's a strong possibility that EC caused the bladder problem also.

Unless there's something specific other than stasis I can't see the value of knowing if he is positive for EC, (though again, happy to be contradicted!)though there would be no harm in knowing either, I guess. I can see the value of x-ray of abdomen and even skull x-rays, just to check if there's anything abnormal that could be bothering him.

Stasis can be caused by many things stress and changes often cause it. Mobility restriction can cause slowing of the gut as can dental issues and Surrey changes including gas often caused by foods eaten.unfortunatly its unknown regarding the ec but I would personally only ever treat a rabbit with a one off 28day course of pannacur unless they have come into contact with another ec rabbit or infection is suspected. x

Back