• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can RU help me decide?

weedug

Mama Doe
I'm not sure where I want to go with buns now, I don't mean mine.

I used to foster, and think I would like to do it again, but I was never happy when it was time for the buns to move on :oops:.

I love older buns or special needs buns. Don't know if I should foster them, or wait and maybe get another of my own sometime (mine are old or special needs). Or wait and just see if there is a bun that needs someone to help it at some point.

Thought maybe someone could give me some ideas or thoughts, in case there is something that I haven't thought of.

Could you have a little sanctuary for rabbits of your own? Just for one or two? How many extra rabbits could you afford realistically? I don't think you should foster as you'd be constantly heartbroken. Xxx

What about contacting rescues to see if they have any elderly or special needs bunnies that could be permanent fosters. That way you help special bunnies and a rescue and you don;t have to rehome :D

What about contacting rescues to see if they have any elderly or special needs bunnies that could be permanent fosters. That way you help special bunnies and a rescue and you don;t have to rehome :D

I've already approached one rescue, but there is another one that I could get in touch with too.

I had thought of my own mini-sanctuary, which I have some money for. But if the buns needed ongoing expensive treatment I think I would struggle after a little while, especially with my own and I don't want to struggle with their treatment. I do have insurance for them, but some of them had pre-existing conditions when I took them on and have exclusions on their insurance.

I've already approached one rescue, but there is another one that I could get in touch with too.

I had thought of my own mini-sanctuary, which I have some money for. But if the buns needed ongoing expensive treatment I think I would struggle after a little while, especially with my own and I don't want to struggle with their treatment. I do have insurance for them, but some of them had pre-existing conditions when I took them on and have exclusions on their insurance.

There might be some further afield willing to let you permanently foster given that they will be with you for life :?

the problem with mini sanctuaries is they don't stay mini for long ;) We are going through a rough patch at the moment and I am estimating that our vet bill since boxing day now stands at around £1200. It is actually making me feel a bit sick but if the bunnies need the treatment we have to pay it regardless. Maybe we will be luckier in a few weeks and manage to have a quiet period :D

There might be some further afield willing to let you permanently foster given that they will be with you for life :?

the problem with mini sanctuaries is they don't stay mini for long ;) We are going through a rough patch at the moment and I am estimating that our vet bill since boxing day now stands at around £1200. It is actually making me feel a bit sick but if the bunnies need the treatment we have to pay it regardless. Maybe we will be luckier in a few weeks and manage to have a quiet period :D

Hadn't thought of further afield. I could give them a try.

I know it's easier said than done, but I wouldn't have space for any more than a mini sanctuary. Even that could potentially have massive bills though, depending on the buns.

You must be so worried about your bills. I hope you can get it cleared ok.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Hadn't thought of further afield. I could give them a try.

I know it's easier said than done, but I wouldn't have space for any more than a mini sanctuary. Even that could potentially have massive bills though, depending on the buns.

You must be so worried about your bills. I hope you can get it cleared ok.

Thank you for your suggestions.

I know there is a little boy at RSPCA Walsall that has been looking for a permanent foster place for over a year. We have never had the right space come up for him here :( I am not sure how far they would want him to travel with his problems but I know they have rehomed nationally :D

I know there is a little boy at RSPCA Walsall that has been looking for a permanent foster place for over a year. We have never had the right space come up for him here :( I am not sure how far they would want him to travel with his problems but I know they have rehomed nationally :D

Thanks for that :). What are his problems? Although I think we may be a bit too far away for a poorly bun. I would hate him to get worse on the journey :(.

I will keep a look out, and approach some rescues a bit further afield.

Back