• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I know im doing right but

Lucy1666

Mama Doe
my sister keeps telling me not to get amy spayed because she may die
i know the risk but im still going throught with it no matter what they say for amy!
the worst thing about it is mum agrees with my sister :evil: they think im just wasting the £100 i saved up
but im not and i dont know how to get them to shut up! doing me frikin nut in :censored:
did anyone have this problem at all when getting their buns done

All you can do is look at the best interests of your rabbit. That's what you are doing.

Your mum and sister aren't, for a variety of reasons, probably.

Stick with yur gut instinct as to what is best and follow it. They will stop 'going on' at some point.

I would always get a female neutered. I had a bun a few years ago and I didn't understand the importance of getting them spayed. She got uterine cancer, and it had spread before it was noticed. She was terribly ill, and ended up getting pts while alone at the vet getting tests done.

There is a slim chance that she will have a problem during the op, but I would take that risk with any of mine.

my sister keeps telling me not to get amy spayed because she may die
i know the risk but im still going throught with it no matter what they say for amy!
the worst thing about it is mum agrees with my sister :evil: they think im just wasting the £100 i saved up
but im not and i dont know how to get them to shut up! doing me frikin nut in :censored:
did anyone have this problem at all when getting their buns done

no because my mum took my word for it when I explained the benifits and risks if I didnt get them spayed...

what might be an idea is show her a bunny welfare site which talks about neutering and show her so she can see for herself

you know whats best for amy lucy :) dont listen to them, do they know all the pro's to it?
my mums given up with me now, she tends to just agree otherwise i bore her with details about rabbits :lol: however im 21 and work full time so mum has absolutely nothing to do with them so i dont give her the option of having a say in whats done with them. At least youve saved your own money for it and not asking your mum/sister to help :)

you know whats best for amy lucy :) dont listen to them, do they know all the pro's to it?
my mums given up with me now, she tends to just agree otherwise i bore her with details about rabbits :lol: however im 21 and work full time so mum has absolutely nothing to do with them so i dont give her the option of having a say in whats done with them. At least youve saved your own money for it and not asking your mum/sister to help :)

actually they dont know the pros so i think i might show em a welfare site soon it might shut them up :)
thanks everyone :thumb:

It's important to do what you can to minimise the risks too. Two things that strike me

a) get her done at the start of the week so that if anything goes wrong in the early days eg her stitches break you don't have to take her to an emergency/non savvy vets to put things right

b) research your vet carefully to make sure they do lots of spays and that they don't have problems doing them at all.

Apologies if you've thought of either/both!

If you have a really rabit savvy vet it's worth checking that not only will they do the op but also that they'll be around for the next few days after the op, if it's possible; also that there'll be someone at home to watch her...

Small risk (assuming she is in good health at the time and the vet and nurses know their job) of having her done, compared with very high chance of premature death and pain due to cancer. I would go with the op. I cant see how anyone would think differently if they love the bunny. Maybe she just doesnt have the bond you have, some people dont seem to get what the whole thing is with pets. My mum didnt understand why I neutered Buzzby, as he was a good bunny before minus some humping of my sister (which was actually quite funny) but knowing he had those urges that strong must make him a little stressed, so now he has less to worry about :lol:

I didnt know the risks regarding uterine cancer when i first got Daisy so she wasnt spayed till she was nearly 4. I was worried that she was too old for the op and although she went into statis, and it was hard work.to get her right again, i would spay everytime. I understand the issue with your mum and sister im going through a similar thing with my oh parents. Its a pain in the **** isnt it :roll: they just dont understand :(

It's important to do what you can to minimise the risks too. Two things that strike me

a) get her done at the start of the week so that if anything goes wrong in the early days eg her stitches break you don't have to take her to an emergency/non savvy vets to put things right

b) research your vet carefully to make sure they do lots of spays and that they don't have problems doing them at all.

Apologies if you've thought of either/both!

If you have a really rabit savvy vet it's worth checking that not only will they do the op but also that they'll be around for the next few days after the op, if it's possible; also that there'll be someone at home to watch her...

a) will do think tuesday might be best day too :)
b) there very good with buns very rabbit savvy but thanks for the first question because i didnt think of that one :thumb:

Just thought id say to finish this thread off
everything went smoothly
amys better and back to her old self
and best of all
I proved my sister wrong !!! :p:lol:

It is likely your mum was probably assuming that rabbits chances under anaesthetic are the same now as the were back 20-30 years ago, when vets were not as good with rabbits and there was a higher risk with anaesthetics. Things have changed a lot since then, but many people are still unaware and uneducated and don't understand how crucial it is to get all bunnies neutered.

It is great that you managed to save up your own money and get Amy neutered and glad she is doing fine.

Back