• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New rabbit checklist

okikokikate

Mama Doe
Hope you can help.

Im currently looking into getting 2 rescue centre rabbits and keeping them indoors.

Could you help me compile a checklist of what I need?

So far I have:
  • Hay
  • Dog bed + towels (to sleep in)
  • cardboard boxes
  • wooden garland to chew
  • chew stopper spray
  • 48" dog crate
  • Wickery balls to play with
  • water bottle
  • food bowl

Last edited:
erm pellets? a tunnel (not really a necessity though) litter tray? cant think of much at moment :)

Carry case, water bowl/bottle, food bowl (maybe wait until talking to the centre about all those things though). I'd wait until you talk to the rescue before buying pellets too.

Litter trays.

Hope you can help.

Im currently looking into getting 2 rescue centre rabbits and keeping them indoors.

So far I have:
  • Hay
  • cardboard boxes
  • wooden garland to chew
  • chew stopper spray
  • 48" dog crate

Water and Feed Bowls
Basic First Aid Kit
Register with and details of a good vet
Lotf of newspaper
Veg
A crate on its own is great but a bit small so a pen to attach to it
An outside run (for summer only)

Hope you can help.

So far I have:
  • Hay
  • cardboard boxes
  • wooden garland to chew
  • chew stopper spray
  • 48" dog crate
  • water bottle
  • food bowl

Litter tray
Megazorb
Play pen
toys
Water bowl
Snugglesafe
Icepod
Pellets
Hay rack
Tunnel/hidey house

make sure the pet carrier is big enough for both buns to be in the same carrier

A vet could be a great vet with other pets like dogs and cats but terrible with rabbits so you will need to find a good rabbit vet, if you let people on here know roughly where you like in wales how far you can travel etc... there may be a user who uses a vets near you or can recommend you a vet.

try to learn about all the different types of hay, some users on here use they hay experts to buy hay http://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/

Different buns love diffferent hays mine love green oat and alphalfa

It's not very big, could you bunny proof a room for them so they can have plenty of space when you're out?

It's not very big, could you bunny proof a room for them so they can have plenty of space when you're out?

a pen would be fine attached to the 48" dog cart

people need to remember many people cant have a bunny proof room because of their circumstances, most would if they could its been suggested and is obviously not possible for the op

this was not an attack on you redfraggle its just a bit daunting when new users come on here trying to do their best and so many people push for free ranging >_<

I feel she is doing brilliantly by changing her original plans taking on board all the advice and learning like the rest of us did and still are.

however if you can I would go for a bigger pen there are lovely ones on ebay

Thing is you can spend a lot of money on different pens and end up free ranging anyway and wishing you'd saved that money for vets bills. :) If free ranging is possible it means you're not loosing living space. But it isn't always possible.

Based on what I can see on Amazon the pen is 20 sq ft. Added to a four by three dog crate that adds up to 32 sq ft. Personally I would go for bigger or see if they can attach together and get two.

Thing is you can spend a lot of money on different pens and end up free ranging anyway and wishing you'd saved that money for vets bills. :) If free ranging is possible it means you're not loosing living space. But it isn't always possible.

Based on what I can see on Amazon the pen is 20 sq ft. Added to a four by three dog crate that adds up to 32 sq ft. Personally I would go for bigger or see if they can attach together and get two.

would love to free range the buns but cant till we own a house... its something my oh has put his foot firmly down on and I dont blame him a friend of ours free ranges and just lost her deposit due to the damage and she did all she could to bun proof....

so like we have both said its not always possible as lovely as it would be

but i also agree with you a bigger pen would be better if you can hun

Im in rented accomm so trying to make to make the best of a bad situation lol

really appreciate everyones ideas and feedback. im defo still learning atm.

hopefully going to ncar rescue tomorrow if i can get there in time...

Kate

well I have a drop pin pen which you can shape how you want its measures 48"

I bought it because I can buy another and put two together to make it much larger when we get more room

Just measured out the floor space of the crate ive ordered (with quality street hehe)
Seems big but I guess they need it

Attaching that pen to a crate would be the same as attaching a 6 x 4 pen to it because it would be open at one end to attach to the pen (hope that makes sense) which to me is great. I used to have a similar set up for my indoor buns.

The only problem you may have is that they could jump out. My foster bun used to :roll: So you may need a net over the pen part

a pen would be fine attached to the 48" dog cart

people need to remember many people cant have a bunny proof room because of their circumstances, most would if they could its been suggested and is obviously not possible for the op

this was not an attack on you redfraggle its just a bit daunting when new users come on here trying to do their best and so many people push for free ranging >_<

I feel she is doing brilliantly by changing her original plans taking on board all the advice and learning like the rest of us did and still are.

however if you can I would go for a bigger pen there are lovely ones on ebay

I am a dufus, I read it wrong and thought it was 2ft x 2ft, not each panel :oops: *goes back to hide under a rock*

In terms of other bunny things u may need or want if you have an applee or willow tree near u cut some twigs for buns to chew n eat. Also mayb a tray which you plant grass or herbs in for the bunnies. also I would try n get nail clippers and some blankets or fleeces for buns which are also useful for wrapping norty buns when doing nails or meds. Also tunnels are always good for bunnies lots of hay :) in your 48invh crate you can put a 2nd level shelf too which helps give more space and also agree with attatching a pen :) mayb an outdoor run for warmer months if you have a garden? Or perhaps a carry case make sure big enough for your bunnies ie 2 mini lops take up far less space than 2 frenchies!! :) also echo lots of newspaper and a water bowl as well as bottle, toys are great but can make ur own too. X

Back