• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do You Have a Dental Rabbit (s) ?

Is Your Dental Rabbit

• Lop-aged 1-3 Years

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Lop- aged 4-6 Years

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • Lop-aged 6+ Years

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • 'Uppy' Eared Aged 1-3 Years

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • 'Uppy Eared'- aged 4-6 Years

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • 'Uppy Eared'- aged 6+ Years

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Just out of interest (and utter frustration) really.

Many of us know that lops are more prone to Dental problems, but I still thought it might be interesting to do a survey of RU Dental Bunnies.

Last edited:
Possibly :cry: Charlottes back top teeth grow inwards. She is approximately 14 months old and as yet it has caused her no problems but it may do in the future.
Charlotte is an uppy eared nethie X who weighs 1.7Kg.

Good idea Jane :)

I must be incredibly lucky with my lops, as they are 8.5 and 9 and neither of them are dental bunnies...phew! Nethies have always been the dental problem buns for me.

I can't vote because I have too many.

I didn't realise it was lops though, just thought flat faced bunnies.

Flat faced wise Sandy and Badger both are/were. Sandy showed at 3 (she is now 6), and Badger showed at 2 (he died last year aged 4.5)

I have three lops.

Autumn- dental, not flat faced, had his first dental around roughly his second birthday. (think that was misguided). Now 2.5

Wish- dental, not at all flat faced, had her first dental at 16 weeks. Very nasty tooth root issues. On continuous pain relief since then. Now 21 months.

Flame- not dental, flat faced. Now 21 months.

The rest of my dental bunnies are 'nethies' but not show quality ones. None are flat faced.

Sky- first dental aged 4, now 6

Star- first dental aged 2, now 4.5

Angel- only dental aged 2, now 4.5

Hope- first dental aged 11 months, now 4.5

Dawn- first dental aged 4, now 4.5

Dopey 1- first dental aged 2, now 5.5

Dopey 2- first dental aged 1, now 5.5

Lightning- first dental aged 3, now 4.5

Dusk- first dental aged 1, now 4.5 (and has gone from every 14 weeks to not having one for 2 years!!!!!!)

Sunny, never had a dental, now 4.5 (sister to those up there who are 4.5)

Candyfloss, never had a dental, now 4- white 'lab rabbit', pointy face

Roger, never had a dental, now 4, wildie

I voted uppy because of Poppy but Leo is a dental too and he's a floppy eared bunny. They are both 5 years old in May.

Poppy has a small face but I have no idea what breed she is at all. Leo is a German Lop (and something else but don't know what) and has a huuuuge face lol. I think his dental problems were from "neglect" personally. Peed on hay and russell rabbit for nearly 5 years, the vet agreed somewhat. Anything wrong with him my bf blames the previous owners. They did nothing for him..

Poppy had her first dental last April and has been okay since then :) Leo had a dental when he was neutered in November but when the vet was checking him after his stroke he said he will need another one because some teeth have fallen out and when he eats his hay it's not grinding on anything because his teeth are bad :(

I hope we can sort him out like Poppy but it might be that he has a lot more dentals. It could have been prevented but the people who had him before didn't even care that he'd had a stroke.. They just sat there with blank faces and went ".....oh.." :evil: but when they were told Poppy had to be in a modified babygro because of her spay wound problems they thought it was hilarious.. :censored:

Last edited:
Out of the 33 rabbits currently here 16 have needed dentals at some point in their lives. Out of those 15 only 4 came here specifically because of their dental problems.

We did have Revel a squishy faced lop from the age of 3 months to 10.5 years and he never has a tooth problem :D

All my rabbits 'should be' dental bunnies as Mini and Mischa are mini lops, Nutmeg probably a nethie lionhead cross and Smudge a lionhead lop cross, but so far none of them are. Mischa had a precautionary dental but there was nothing of note that really needed doing and no problems since.

I voted lop aged 1-3, as Olly and Honey are showing signs of possibly needing dentals soon although they haven't had any yet. They are both 18 month old mini lops :wave:

Sooty's a lop and a dental bun, Cinders is an uppy and isn't. Cinders has a much longer face than sooty as well, so we fit well with stereotypes here!!

I only have one lop and she's the only one of my four bunnies (the other three are uppy-eared) to have dental issues. She has to have regular checks on the molars for possible burring and she's lost one molar due to a tooth root abscess.

Should have added 6 dental buns are lops the other are all up rights. The 4 that are here due to severe dental problems, 3 are lop and one up eared

I have Homer who is a dental bun. He is 8.5 now but we did find out about his problems about 4 years ago. I ticked the age 6+ uppy ears.
I have Cassie who is lop and about 3.5 now but *touches wood* no teeth issues so far. Katy is approx 6.5 again *touches wood* no teeth issues so far (uppy)

Bubbles has needed a few dentals now and comes into the lop aged 1-3 category. Alfie's exactly the same age though and (thankfully) no problems so far and (touch wood) it will stay that way.

I had no idea lops had more dental issues than buns with normal shaped faces! I wish id researched! Buster had his first dental 3 months ago he was 7months old! Not sure how regularly he will need to have dentals yet but fingers crossed it wont be anytime soon

I've added Herbie to this, even though he very recently passed away. :cry:

Herbie had dental problems since he was a year old. Life dealt him a shocking set of teeth, I don't think he had a good molar in his head. :( At best he went 6 weeks between dentals, but more usually it was 2-3 weeks. He was 7 years old when he died, so his problems were managed with very regular GA dentals for 6 years.

ETA Herbie was a lop and his dental problems were down to the shape of his face/jaw.

Last edited:
I have had 2 dental bunnies in the past, both were lops and were needing dentals from around 3 years old. I have also had 2 other lops over the years and one had great teeth all the way to about 11 years old when she passed away and my current bun, approx 6 years has beautiful teeth and no trouble so far. I had a non lop (small breed, long haired) and she had perfectly fine teeth although passed away young, only 5 years, but known to be VERY inbred (mum felt sorry for her).

Neither of mine have had a dental, but both have their teeth monitored because they are showing very early signs of possibly needing one.

Charlie is a 3 (almost 4) year old lop, Milly is a 1 year old uppy earred bun.

None of mine are dental bunnies. I have Bungle who is very flat faced, an uppy eared x and a lion head.

Back