• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nobivac Myxo-RHD Vaccine to be Launched Nationwide in March

Yes I'd asked about that too, Jane, and await to hear what the 'official' recommendations are on its use and how it will be ensured that vets are aware of that very important piece of information.

I guess it means that if all 'new' bunnies are vaccinated with it, then they can continue with it for life, so it will take a period of several years before it can be 'rolled out' fully, in the UK at least.

For previously vaccinated bunnies, I don't know whether it's worth exploring giving it to them anyway just for the myxo portion, because the myxo protection lasts for 12 months instead of 6 and might give better protection against myxo, given that it is actually made from the myxo virus. And then also giving the VHD boosters separately as normal.

I wonder why it's the case - are there any immunologists amongst us who can explain? I'd seen from the info that the RHD element is incorporated into the attenuated myxi, so maybe if the bun already has prevoius antibodies against myxo, it simply re-stimulates and adapts those, without it recognising the VHD as a separate thing?

Yes I'd asked about that too, Jane, and await to hear what the 'official' recommendations are on its use and how it will be ensured that vets are aware of that very important piece of information.

I guess it means that if all 'new' bunnies are vaccinated with it, then they can continue with it for life, so it will take a period of several years before it can be 'rolled out' fully, in the UK at least.

For previously vaccinated bunnies, I don't know whether it's worth exploring giving it to them anyway just for the myxo portion, because the myxo protection lasts for 12 months instead of 6 and might give better protection against myxo, given that it is actually made from the myxo virus. And then also giving the VHD boosters separately as normal.

I wonder why it's the case - are there any immunologists amongst us who can explain? I'd seen from the info that the RHD element is incorporated into the attenuated myxi, so maybe if the bun already has prevoius antibodies against myxo, it simply re-stimulates and adapts those, without it recognising the VHD as a separate thing?

Laura is calling the manufacturers with a list of questions. She is also going on a course in April where the issue is bound to come up as the company are attending so will be pushing it.

Whilst it is good that a potentially more effective Myxo Vac may now be available, benefits are negated if VHD cover is going to be compromised.

Jury is out on this one !!

Maybe they're in it for the long-term gain; I guess if the issue is unavoidable, they must know that they need to start catching new bunnies with it before they have one of the other vaccinations for the first time, and then over a period of several years they will have cornered the market...I guess there's also the possibility that once it's launched and the programme of getting vets to swap for new buns is underway, they can concentrate on refining it to see if they can resolve that issue.

It will be interesting to see how this one pans out...

I don't know what to think but I'm posting so I don't forget to read new posts in this thread :oops:

Interesting. To me, as a multiple bunny owner, I personally find VHD a larger risk, and a scarier risk than myxo. All mine are going in for their separate vaccines over the next two and a half weeks. We'll be discussing it with my vet (ha ha, we'll, like me and all the bunnies will discuss it with my vet :thumb:)

Interesting. To me, as a multiple bunny owner, I personally find VHD a larger risk, and a scarier risk than myxo. All mine are going in for their separate vaccines over the next two and a half weeks. We'll be discussing it with my vet (ha ha, we'll, like me and all the bunnies will discuss it with my vet :thumb:)

Also, a couple of my Buns dont have the VHD Vaccine due to previous problems with adverse reactions. I hope that the original Myxo Vac will remain available as if not there will be no alternative for any Rabbit not able to receive a VHD Vaccine :?

Yes, again it will be interesting to see what side effects emerge. Maybe the previous reactions to the VHD vaccine won't recur with the combined one, because I seem to recall it's only a gene from the VHD virus 'impregnated' into the myxo virus to create the vaccine, so between that and the type of carrier used it might have a completely different profile of how bunnies react to it. Maybe it even creates a single antibody which 'covers' both. There is, however, a high chance that I am talking out of my backside :lol:

Very useful post - thanks.

I have delayed Ada having her first jabs so she can have this when it comes out. Good to see that it's released before the summer.

All very interesting to see how it works out.

I've got to say, if I had a bunny with a chronic illness I really wouldn't be knowing what to do in terms of vaccinations with this new vaccine being so new!

Also, a couple of my Buns dont have the VHD Vaccine due to previous problems with adverse reactions. I hope that the original Myxo Vac will remain available as if not there will be no alternative for any Rabbit not able to receive a VHD Vaccine :?

It's all very interesting. Makes me wonder if immune systems will be hit harder with them both, so those that are immuno compromised or vulnerable in some way would end up being not covered as opposed to being 'risked' by one.

I don't like how it says that a swelling at the site of injection is COMMONLY observed. :shock: How is this good?

I'd personally stick with the old style of vaccines, even if I got new bunnies.

It's all very interesting. Makes me wonder if immune systems will be hit harder with them both, so those that are immuno compromised or vulnerable in some way would end up being not covered as opposed to being 'risked' by one.

Yes, that was my worry. I guess time will tell...

I think until I have a need to shove something into my bun that will push his immune system to the limit I will let him have them seperate and know in my mind they are effective and he is safe. I would worry that if they have to have a response to that adequate to protect from both diseases is is pushing their immune system a lot and not only is that worrying I would never be fully happy that he was covered. Do they inject it as per myxi jab then or all in like the VHD?

I think until I have a need to shove something into my bun that will push his immune system to the limit I will let him have them seperate and know in my mind they are effective and he is safe. I would worry that if they have to have a response to that adequate to protect from both diseases is is pushing their immune system a lot and not only is that worrying I would never be fully happy that he was covered. Do they inject it as per myxi jab then or all in like the VHD?

The info seems to say all sub cut, so all under the skin like the current VHD vaccines.

That doesn't bother me actually. To have got its licence they will have to have proved that it is effective. If the bun isn't well enough to invoke an immune response to the combined, it probably isn't well enough to do it for just one either. And because the vaccine only actually contains one virus, which has been attenuated with a gene from the other, rather than containing both viruses separately within the single jab, I suspect (although I don't know) that it only stimulates one immune response anyway, so I think it's unlikely to cause a problem in that respect. I'll definitely be interested to understand more about it in due course though, I think it is a positive step forward in the long term.

Yes, again it will be interesting to see what side effects emerge. Maybe the previous reactions to the VHD vaccine won't recur with the combined one, because I seem to recall it's only a gene from the VHD virus 'impregnated' into the myxo virus to create the vaccine, so between that and the type of carrier used it might have a completely different profile of how bunnies react to it. Maybe it even creates a single antibody which 'covers' both. There is, however, a high chance that I am talking out of my backside :lol:

Does this mean they can now make the VHD part without the need for harvesting from bunnies?

As I am currently in the middle of doing all of my own rabbit vaccinations I had a conversation about this very thing this morning with the vet.

I imagine it to be a step forward for those who have not vaccinated before as a way of ensuring they vaccinate for both, but I'm just not sure how it will be feasible (even before reading the info about reduced protection for previously vaccinated rabbits), as nearly all of my rabbits that have been rescued have staggered vaccinations - in other words some where vaccinated for Myxo before I took them on so they didn't get Myxo and VHD close together so at what point would you have chosen to vaccinate with a double vaccine so as not to 'overload' the system if the rabbit is already vaccinated against one that still has a length of protection.

Certainly in rescue terms when you take in bunnies for rehoming that people say are vaccinated, they often only mean for Myxo as they weren't aware of the need for VHD. So what do you do you in that case (asked and answered now - use the old vaccine). Problem is that some vets will stop keeping all the vaccines, particular single Lapinject/Cylap as they have to disguard it after 24 hours anyway - the new vaccine will be attractive to them because of the wastage/cost issue.

I will be making it clear at our vets that from my point of view, the vets need to ensure that they are still happy to provide all and offer the client a choice.

Back