• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Over zealous bun fun

Britannia

Warren Scout
I'm getting a little concerned over one of my buns. I've had Bob about 4 months now and he is really coming out of his shell. He and his partner Kizzy are house buns - pretty much free range when I'm home and the run of what was the dinning room when I'm working with supervised time outside whenever possible.

As soon as I get home it's play time, treat balls with their daily allowance of pellets, hide the mint leave in their digging box or chase the blanket. They have always played nicely with no squabbles, happy to steal the treat ball off each other then have it stolen back. Unfortunately Bob is now getting a little over zealous. He is picking up the treat ball, going up on his hind legs and using his front paws to bat it away. I having visions of his teeth going with it one day so I've retired the treat ball. I used to have a cardboard box full of small pet blankets from poundland. I would hide a some herb leaves in between the blankets for them to dig out. There was no fighting between the buns, in fact they seem to actually work together to drag all the blankets out, but again Bob seems to go too far by grabbing a blanket and then throwing himself over backwards to drag the blankets out. Tonight I replaced the blankets with hay and he still grabbed as much as he could and threw himself over backwards to pull as much as possible out in one go, he did it several times and I think he would have keep doing it if I hadn't removed the digging box.

I'm worried about him hurting himself even though I've put cushions up against the wall. I don't think he's desperate for food because if I put the food in a bowl he eats it quite sedately and is always happy to share with Kizzy. Even the non food related game where I wave a blanket in front of the buns and they chase it and try to grab it off of me result in Bob doing his trick of gabbing it and hurling himself backwards.

I feel like I'm ruining his fun but on the other hand I don't want him hurt. What should I do? I want to keep them active and stimulated, which will be easier in summer, but unfortunately it's already dark when I get home from work and even at the weekend it's too cold to go outside for more than a couple of minutes.

Waving things in front of rabbits can aggravate them and stress them out so I would no longer play the blanket game. Rabbits have poor eyesight and can't always make out what is right in front of them which can add to their stress and as a defensive measure they can become quite aggressive. Also as you pointed out such vigorous on a rabbit's part could lead to a back injury if a rabbit twists or turns suddenly.

Thats what I was afraid of :(

But I feel like I taking away all their fun. They used to love their hay tunnel but recently they started eating the cardboard as well as the hay so that had to go.

Back