• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

3rd eyelid - am I being paranoid?

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
Further to my recent thread we have been monitoring Homer closely.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327132-Cloudy-Eye-u-d-cataract-or-trauma

Basically Homer has been fine in himself, eating, pooping etc. There does not appear to have been any change in his eye e.g. discharge, enlarged eyeball. It is still cloudy but does not appear to be any more cloudy than when we noticed a week ago.

When he was eating his cabbage tonight I noticed that his 3rd eyelid was showing in both eyes but when he stopped eating it went OK. I thought I saw this Sat morning but the light was not good so could not be 100% sure. Am I being paranoid or could there be something underlying.

I have tried to look 3rd eyelid up on here but a lot of the threads are blank (guess it is because it crashed last week).

He is due a dental probably within the next couple of weeks, are there any other tests I should ask our vet to carry out?

It could be tooth root related. Pressure from elongated tooth roots causing bulging of the eyeball and thus the increased visibility of the third eyelid when he is eating -ie creating direct pressure on his teeth/roots

When was his last skull Xray and does he have his molars burred right down to gum level or does your Vet just take off the spurs ? If the latter, then TRE is not going to be managed efficiently. Whilst TRE is a progressive feature of Dental Disease the rate of that progression can be minimised by regular thorough Dentals under GA to burr the crowns down to gum level and to reshape them to provide the best possible occlusal surface.

There is some info about TRE on here

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/Rabbit_dentistry.pdf

Thanks Jane. Homer is a dental bunny and does have elongated roots. His last x-ray was a couple of years ago I think. He has had dentals under GA every 6-10 weeks in the last year but not 100% sure what they do. I know they are very "uneven" and do get spurs and they get "levelled" but not sure how low.

I am taking wild thing (Katy) on Fri for her VHD so will ask then and maybe get him booked in for his dental early next week with a skull x-ray.

Back