• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Separation anxiety?

I'm really very worried about my youngest bun, Brer.

She came to me less than a week ago, with her (supposed) Mum, Velveteen. Unfortunately Velveteen is currently on quarantine owing to illness. Whilst V seems happy enough with a soft toy and plenty of fuss, Brer has become very unhappy. She's not eating as well as she was, she's clearly lonely and missing Velveteen.

I've given her a soft toy for company, but I'm worried about her :(

Is there anything I can do for her? I have tried bringing her into the house to sit with Velveteen for a while, close enough that they can see one another, but not close enough to catch anything, but Brer spent the whole time in the corner looking sorry for herself :(

She's also rattling around in quite a large (2 tier) hutch by herself, I did wonder if moving her into a smaller space for a few days while Velveteen is away might help? Or is that likely to make things worse.

Please help. . . . :'(

Why is Velveteen in quarantine? Why is Brer also not being quarantined?

Can you give Brer a heat source like a snugglesafe? If she is safe to be around other rabbits (which she probably isn't if her bonded friend isn't), could you maybe have it so she can see other rabbits? Or bond her with another rabbit?

Brer Rabbit is in effect also in quarantine, but she's in her hutch instead.

Velveteen has an eye infection (she is also very pregnant and suffered serious stress 2 days before I rescued her which resulted in a downturn in her general health and wellbeing) and the vet was very insistant that she be kept away from any of the others as he is concerned the eye infection *may* be a symptom of Myxo (which is why Brer also has to be on her own).

He's only mentioned Myxo because we know very little of her history and background and he is being overly cautious because of my older residents Chaz & Dave.

So.... Brer can't be bonded with another rabbit as she needs to be alone until the vet is totally convinced it's not Myxo, AND Brer is also pregnant so I am concerned that the stress of trying to bond her would cause problems. It would also mean taking on yet another rabbit as I can't trio her with Chaz & Dave. (I know Chaz too well, she won't have it)

At a push I could maybe fit another crate in the house so that Brer could see Velveteen. How far apart would they need to be? I've not got much space but if it will help Brer Rabbit we'll just have to eat on our laps for a while!

*probably should have mentioned most of this in the original post - sorry!

Back