• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

how to inspect the intimate areas of a bun

Neleh

Alpha Buck
Hi,
I've been reading that rabbits shouldn't be put on their backs. I will admit that I have done this to inspect Mr Snowdrops bits now he has had them removed and I need to check the site of removal. I've also held Malteser like this when I clean his bum of sticky cecotrops. I'm a bit bothered, I had a rabbit when I was younger (about 15yrs ago) and we held her like that too :oops: I think it's recent thoughts on the matter but I'm not sure of an alternative. I do this securely and when I'm done I lean right back and aid their transition so that they don't injure themselves.
Is there a way I can get these jobs done without placing them on their backs? It is often just me so I need a one man method :p

I didn't know that. I just thought they shouldn't be put into a trance. This involves them being put on their back but induces a heightened fear response. A lot of people see it as the rabbit being relaxed but it's entirely the opposite. Why does it say just being on their back is bad?
My sister trained her rabbit Dexter so that he didn't mind being on his back. It was a life saver when he had a bonding accident and was bitten in that area. At the vets we were able to just have him lie on his back while he was cleaned and inspected and it meant he was not stressed and didn't have to have a GA.

I thought it always puts them into trance? Its also bad as they can kick out and do spinal damage? I hope you're right so neither of us have been naughty putting our buns on their backs. I noticed the vet kept Mr Snowdrops feet on the table and sort of stood him up to inspect the wound rather than flip him over..

Back