• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cat deterrents

Carolinemm

Warren Scout
HI there, sorry Ive not posted for a long time but I am a bit concerned, basically MY cat is pooing all over next doors garden (!) weve just moved, Ive never known her to do it before......anyhow they have complained and now got themselves an ultrasonic cat deterrent but Im worried about the bunnies! I cant find out anywere if they affect the bunnies in any way - Ive just seen it go off and Hollys ears pricked up so they may hear it or she may have been hearing the neighbour in their garden - but I dont like it. I said Id try lots of methods, said to squirt her with water etc, there is a litter tray outside our back door....but I dont know where shes going as its not in the litter tray and since they said Ive not seen her in there at all!....very difficult but worried for my bunnies! Is anyone informed on this? I know a lot of people use them to keep cats away from their bunnies perhaps? Mine are scared of my bunnies and run inside when theyre in the garden :lol:

Update well Ive just found that some of these ultrasonic detectors are to keep rabbits away also so Im assuming they dont like the noise of them :( I assume its not very nice for them?

Personally, I don't think these deterrents work but you'll be able to tell if the rabbits start showing any different behaviour.

I've got five cats and while they have litter trays in a shed just outside the utlity room (with catflap in and door to let us skip out easily) I've also made them a "sand pit" at one end of the garden to give them an additional spot to use. I skip that out every couple of days and it is very popular! It's just a wooden frame on the ground, about a metre square and it contains sand over soil so if it rains the water drains straight through.

Perhaps you could try something similar away from the house and sheltered by a few potted plants to make the cat feel secure.

Downside may be that lots of other cats will come to the cat loo as it'll smell right and be easy digging. :lol:

Ah thanks for your reply Im prob fussing too much they seem pretty chilled mostly so cant be bothering them that much just dont want them hearing a horrible noise! but can understand the neighbours point of view, I woudnt want a dog coming an pooing on my lawn! Yes I thought about buying a load of bark chippings as it is a bit bare now under the bushes in the garden so they may be going elsewhere but I like the sand pit idea - thanks! Only problem is when its bunny free range time....! Ill have to make sure I keep it clean. Problem is, weve had an intruder cat in our house and I think shes over compensating with her marking hence going next door as well as our garden little tinker. My other cat is too mervous to go elsewhere. I will try the sand though thanks very much :)

Our cat just uses one area of our garden. There's nothing planted in it and we keep it well turned over, cats love freshly dug soil and it seems to stop him going elswhere.

Back